Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

snowy creek to yosemite falls

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

snowy creek to yosemite falls

Postby ryanmj » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Im planning on hiking up snowy creek falls to north dome and down yosemite falls this friday. Will their be any where along the trail that i can fill up on water besides the top of yos. falls ? Also does anyone know how many miles it will be ? ive read that its 17 miles and 22 miles.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: snow creek to yosemite falls

Postby dan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:44 pm

Nit: It's Snow Creek, not Snowy Creek.

Yes, there's water. Snow Creek has water. Indian Creek has water, as does Lehemite Creek. The later 2 are closer to (east of) Yosemite Point. It's kind of dry around North Dome.

If you go to North Dome, don't miss Natural Arch. It's on the 7.5' topo. Just follow the ridge (and trail) that heads north from North Dome along the top of the ridge. You can't miss it. It's a mile or so (more or less) north of North Dome.

Here's a map that shows most of the route, and much of the mileage:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite ... p_2006.pdf

I've never done the whole thing in one day (I've done all of it in separate trips). Friends of mine did it in one day in winter. They started at sunrise and got back at sunset. Hard trudging through snow. Not a problem in Summer, but it's still a LONG day.
Last edited by dan on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:47 pm

I assume this is not going to be a day hike. :shock:

I've been to the Snow Creek trail, North Dome and Yosemite Falls....but not on the same trip. I know there is a bridge on the top of Snow Creek, but I've never been past that.

Went to North Dome via the Porcupine Creek Trail. Water is scarce though. I think we filled our water at Lehamite Creek.
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby ryanmj » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:23 pm

thanks for the info guys, yes were planning on doing it in one day, last summer we did clouds rest from the valley in about 10 hours so im hoping this is not much further or a hike, I did the north dome from porcupine flats in early july but the valley was real smokey so i figured id give it another shot. Indian arch is awesome, I will deffinetly be stopping by their again.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking