Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Planning trip - First time Help

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Planning trip - First time Help

Postby hcky88 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:45 pm

So im planning a late trip to hike Half Dome on Labor Day weekend (i couldnt have picked a worst time too) My idea was to make it a 2 day trip. Now its probably way to late to get a reservation at LYV and i wont be able to get up there the day before my hike begins. But i read somewhere about getting a "pass through" permit instead of a permit to camp at LYV. Is that true...are those more readily available?

Also i was thinking of camping at the junction of where JMT and the Clouds Rest trail meet. has anyone stayed there (in that area) and is it easy to find a spot to camp overnight at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did this hike many years ago during november just after it snowed in one long day and now i want to make it back for a for a 2 day trip and this time hike to the top of Half Dome.

Thanks guys
hcky88

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking