Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

rafferty creek

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

rafferty creek

Postby ryanmj » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:46 am

My younger brother is back packing Rafferty creek to little yosemite valley and was wondering if theirs water in the creek at this time of year or if he'll have to pump water at the lakes, also their is a split in the trail you can go up vogelsang peak or stay along the river and were wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which trail to take.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:41 pm

I can tell you that two days ago, at the bridge over Rafferty Creek where it empties into the Lyell Fork, it was bone dry. Don't know about higher up the canyon. Sorry.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby the doctor » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi, i went up to Vogelsang on 8/17 and yes as balzaccom said the creek is pretty much bone dry... but there is still some water left though... your first chance is a small creek on your left that empties into rafferty... it is past the initial climb but before the second set of "steps"... you'll have to listen for it because if its your first time (like mine's) you'll probably pass it up... and i did not actually try to get water from here as i didn't need to... your second chance would be a creek that actually crosses the trail... about a 3/4 of the way up to Vogelsang... but the creek itself was really low... i just walked though it without a second thought :) that being said, it was absolutely beautiful up there... also if your brother is planning to stay at the backpackers camp, the composting toilet is broken... but that shouldn't matter... there are plenty of better campsites around that area ;)
the doctor

Postby ryanmj » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:29 pm

thanks guys, he went up yesterday but ill pass on the info when he calls.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Vogelsang - water

Postby AYoung09 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm planning a late Sept. trip up Lyell Canyon and turning right up Ireland Creek to the Vogelsang area. From the sound of it, we should not expect to see much if any water in Ireland Creek, and will have to collect lake water. Does anybody strongly advise pro or con about using tablets to treat lake water, or especially favor filter pumps?
Also - any thoughts about the probability of freezing weather the 24th to the 27th of September, at Vogelsang elevations? :?:
AYoung09

Ireland Creek

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Last Tuesday Ireland Creek was flowing just fine. I believe Ireland Lake has some glacial input so it should keep going.
jimqpublic

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:18 pm

I hiked that trail last year mid September and there was water in the creek, but not a whole lot of it. I prefer filter over tablets. I hate tablets!

My trip went all the way to the valley, you can check it out on the Backpacker Magazine website:
http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip ... pId=264804

It was an incredible adventure! Have fun!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking