Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

4-day hike/Merced Lake

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

4-day hike/Merced Lake

Postby hiker97 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:34 am

We were originally planning to do a 4-day out and back to Merced Lake from Happy Isles, with 1st and 3rd night stays at LY Valley. However, a few of the guys are really wanting a layover day, having gone with me on some other out and back trips in the southern Sierras. The layover day gives you a nice day to "play" at the final destination (i.e. dayhikes, fish, whatever). But we're kind of locked into 4 days max due to families, vacation, work and such. So looking at the topo, I'm thinking of changing the trip to still take 2 days to head out to Merced Lake, but to make day #3 a layover day at Merced Lake, with maybe something like a day hike out to Washburn & back. It looks like hiking the whole way back on day 4 would be doable with an early start and the inspiration of pizza at Happy Isles. It looks to be almost all flat or downhill. We tend to really hike a lot faster on our last day...returning from Evolution Valley to Florence Lake last month, we camped 5.5 miles from the ferry dock and made it in 2 hours that last morning. Tacking on another 8.4 should still allow for maybe an early dinner at Happy Isles. Doable? Crazy? More or less enjoyable plan? Thoughts would be appreciated!
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:37 am

It's a good plan IMO. You really only got the one up when the
trail crosses the Merced (trail on the south of the river).
(ok, there is a small up after the bridge... but your smelling the
barn by then anyway)
This time of year I go up and down the Mist trl. (don't care for
the JMT with ALL the dookie on the trail this time of yr)
Give it a go.
You should also scope out for yourself places to camp after
Moraine Dome... "hey guys, lookie there, maybe we can hike
back and camp here... make the last day easier".

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:54 pm

I think a layover day is a great idea. I would have liked to spend more time at Merced Lake on my last trip up that way. The stretch between Echo Valley and LYV is one of my favorites in all of Yosemite. For this time of year, I'd recommend taking a little time at the beginning of Bunnell cascades and play on the natural waterslide. The water in the pool below is still pretty cold, but can't be beat. I was there last September and it was a blast.

I agree with Bill and would rather stay near Moraine Dome instead of LYV. There are some pretty trail camps in that area and much more private than LYV.

Have a great time!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby hiker97 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Good tips on Morraine Dome, Bunnell Cascades and looking for different places to camp on the way out, that we could utilize on the way back. I had kind of ruled this trip out at one time because I really didn't want to stay 2 nights out of 3 in LYV, but now I'm regaining some excitement about the trip. Tx again
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Dave Miller wrote:The stretch between Echo Valley and LYV is one of my favorites in all of Yosemite. For this time of year, I'd recommend taking a little time at the beginning of Bunnell cascades and play on the natural waterslide.

The bunnell cascades are great for the slides. There is a slightly smaller one at morraine dome also. I agree with the sights. Just be advised, there really isn't anything as far as camping goes in Lost Valley unless you are hammock camping. You can find fire rings but all the tree falls took out the good tent camping spots. There are a couple of bears lurking in Lost Valley. I got a kick out of watching one following two hikers. The bear turned off the trail and I talked to the hikers and they had no clue.

As my wife found out, you can hear squirrels, you can hear deer, but you only hear a bear when someone figured out that it was there...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby adrianhoff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:00 pm

I’ve just returned from hike that started Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley to Merced Lake. I continued past LYV on day one, to make my 2nd day hike into Merced Lake quicker: wanted to arrive in time for dinner and a hot shower at the High Sierra camp, which was still open on my way in.

I didn’t see any legal camping spots that interested me in the forest area in Lost Valley. Between fire and pine beetle damage, there were too many dead trees that looked ready to fall. But as you exit the forest (shortly before that first little switchback/uphill section) there’s a flat area to the right of the trail, adjacent to the pool at the bottom of the cascade. I stayed there. Great little swimming hole to cool off in at the end of the day, and the sound of the cascade to put me to sleep at night. A bear might have passed through at night, but nothing touched my cannister.

You might want to look at that area on your way in. If you like it, the hike out to Happy Isle on your last day would be a lot easier from there, than from Merced Lake.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Merced Lake-LYV-Happy Isles, etc

Postby centurycyclist » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Absolutely, I would definitely stay a day in Merced Lake area----and I agree with Miller, the stretch between LYV and Echo Valley is incredible. My son and I (I won't tell you how old I am) hiked from Happy Isles to Merced Lake, and got there before dinner. So, going DOWN, is a non-issue.
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking