Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Identifying a mountain

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Identifying a mountain

Postby Hikin Mike » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm trying to ID this peak/mountain here:

It's along Tioga road, near the entrance gate. There's a small wooden sign, but I can't remember what it says. If you were to turn 90 degrees to the left of this picture, you can see Mount Gibbs here.
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:13 am

Mammoth Peak
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 am

I have a photo from Mammoth Peak but for some reason I thought my recent photo was past that. I even looked at my Topo and I thought, "Has to be Mammoth....but".

I guess my mind just isn't what it used to be! :shock:

Thanks!
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:41 pm

It's Mammoth.

You can climb it as a pretty easy hike out of Lyell Canyon. And from the top you have a great view of TM.

And if you are young and foolish, you can see the Tioga Pass Road from the top, and you could figure that it would be pretty easy to just clamber down the north face to the road.

I'll just say that we made it. And I wouldn't try that one again.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:06 pm

balzaccom wrote:It's Mammoth.

You can climb it as a pretty easy hike out of Lyell Canyon. And from the top you have a great view of TM.

And if you are young and foolish, you can see the Tioga Pass Road from the top, and you could figure that it would be pretty easy to just clamber down the north face to the road.

Five years ago, I'd do it in a heart beat. Now both of my knees are now fixed (fused) straight, so no more mountain climbing for me!
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby baseline bum » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:06 am

Hikin Mike wrote:
balzaccom wrote:It's Mammoth.

Five years ago, I'd do it in a heart beat. Now both of my knees are now fixed (fused) straight, so no more mountain climbing for me!

I'm sorry to hear that. I love your website; it was one of the main things that convinced me to do a trip to Clouds Rest when I last visited Yosemite.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:27 am

baseline bum wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. I love your website; it was one of the main things that convinced me to do a trip to Clouds Rest when I last visited Yosemite.

I've done some small hikes here in Yosemite and Kings Canyon, but I doubt I'll be backpacking any time soon. I could physically do it, it just takes too long to walk now. :lol:
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking