Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Smith Peak trip report

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Smith Peak trip report

Postby BrendanSF » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Last Monday 10/12 I hiked Smith Peak from Hetch Hetchy entrance station. About a 9 hour trip with a nice lunch break and a rest on the peak. Took the Cottonwood Meadows route. Would have made it a loop by taking the Smith Meadows trail back, but impending rain and a 7pm gate closing made me choose the shorter and more familar trail back. Great trail although there are patches where the trail is completely covered in thorn bushes. Saw the back end of a big cinnamon-colored bear running away through the trees just NE of Cottonwood Meadow.

Here's a GPX and a few photos at this link: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=393929
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Thorn bushes: why I always wear long pants.

BTW. You're lucky they did some work on the water pipe and the
trail up it is in good condition. Many years ago that was not the
case and I got an earful from the wife and hiking buddy.
Ok, maybe not an earful but they weren't too happy.

Glad you had fun.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking