Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bears this time of year

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Bears this time of year

Postby _Gabe_ » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Hello All,

Three of us are going on a 3 nighter tomorrow afternoon, with LYV being our base camp while we do some day hikes.

Im wondering if bears are more active now than normal since they snow is about to come in.

I know they have bear boxes at LYV which we will use for everything since there will be plenty available this time of year. But I wonder if bears get desperate and are willing to charge at us while we have breakfast or dinner.

We arent afraid of bears but want to have an idea as to what there behavior is this time of year.

Thanks,
Gabe
_Gabe_
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Bears this time of year

Postby dan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 pm

No, they are not more active this time of year--at least not that I noticed. THe've been eating all spring, summer, and fall for the coming winter. They don't do "catch up."

That said, LYV Campground is a particularly active place for bears, especially at night. They know that a lot of new and inexperienced backpackers are there with easy pickings. Use the bear boxes and don't leave sight of your food when out of the boxes.

As for charging at you, no black bears are usually not that aggressive. The've never charged at me. I've scared them away by throwing small rocks at them and banging pots and pans.

In winter, I've seen some bear prints in the snow, but never been bothered (yet) by a bear. Cross my fingers.

Grizzly Bears and Brown Bears in Montana, Alaska, and Canada are a lot more a agressive--nothing here applies to them, except you also have to secure your food.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryanmj » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:09 pm

I camped in the valley in october about 10 years ago and when i was cooking dinner i turned my back from the table for no more than 5 seconds and when I turned back a bear was standing on the opposite side of the table from me with its front legs on the table. It looked at me grabbed my box of food sprinted across the river laid down and ate all my food. You dont have to worry about them attacking you but I think they do get a little braver before winter.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking