Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Nevada Barr?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Nevada Barr?

Postby balzaccom » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Anyone else read some of these novels? Mysteries set in National Parks. I am not wild about them--they seem to have more violence than is completely necessary, and the one on Yosemite really does seem to miss the point of the park..,

But still...anyone else?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Nevada Barr?

Postby dan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:29 am

My wife likes the Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon mysteries. But she likes lots of mysteries. I'll ask her about the Yosemite book--I think it wasn't her favorite. I think her favorite was on Mesa Verde. Nevada Barr is a former park ranger who put some of herself in the Pigeon character, I understand.

How does Barr miss the point about Yosemite? I'm not disagreeing, but it's so I can ask my wife about the point.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:11 pm

It just seems that she doesn't fall in love with the park. The action is in winter, and she continually describes the valley as dark and forboding...covered with clouds.

All well and good, but I think it's hard to write about Yosemite without really falling in love with the granite--clean, clear, monumental walls of white.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Nevada Barr Anna Pigeon mysteries

Postby dan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Here's what my wife said about the Nevada Barr Anna Pigeon mysteries
* She has no rebuttal about the Yosemite book--it is the least favorite of the series for her.
* However, Yosemite is dark and forbidding in Winter.
* You can tell from her other books that she really loved the places she wrote about
* Violence--well that's a part of mysteries. Part of the problem is the Yosemite book came out about the same time as the real, gruesome murder of a park ranger that occurred in Yosemite.
* As for her favorite Nevada Barr book, well she says a lot of them are.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking