Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

The Little Spring

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

The Little Spring

Postby jstevenj » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:23 am

There is a reference to a spring on the half dome trail located just past a hard left switch back located after the John Mur trail forks off. I was wondering if anyone can confirm this spring is still flowing in Sept. I will be making the hike Sept 5, 2014 and would like first hand confirmation that the spring is still producing water this time of year. This spring is reference item #10 on the half dome guide on everytrail.com

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/half-do ... /map#poi-9
jstevenj

Re: The Little Spring

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:52 am

I wouldn't depend on it. The creeks, either. I'd tank up water at the river.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jstevenj » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:30 am

AlmostThere wrote:I wouldn't depend on it. The creeks, either. I'd tank up water at the river.

We won't "depend" on it unless I can get verification from someone who has just been there. Really looking for someone who can say I was there x days ago and it is flowing or it is not flowing.

Anyone???
jstevenj

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Good luck then, since that spring hasn't been spotted by anyone I've talked to in a few years, and it's a pretty severe drought on top of it.

Most little springs like that dry up by mid to late summer even in a good snow year.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jstevenj » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:49 pm

I can say for sure the little spring was flowing Sept 5, 2014. We took about 2 gallons from it. Many people past by. I was surprised that not that many people knew about it.
jstevenj

Postby mstufflebeam » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:29 pm

We filled up our water at the little spring on Sept 3, 2014. It was flowing nicely and ice cold.
mstufflebeam
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Half Dome Hiking