Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome from Tenaya Lake

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby dan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:09 pm

Author: Krishnan K (---.camsys.com)
Date: 04-28-03 14:50

Is it possible to do Half Dome and back from Tenaya Lake in 3 days and 2 nights? What is the best way to split the hike between the days? We are considering this because permits from Happy Isles trailhead are sold out and we would also like to stay away from the crowds for much of the hike.
Are there plenty of water sources along this route?

Thanks
KK

Re: Half Dome from Tenaya Lake
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 04-28-03 16:42

You can hike south from Tenaya Lake to Sunrise Creek (not Sunrise Lakes) and camp there. The next day, Hike to Half Dome and back to camp. The final day you can hike back to Tenaya Lake (uphill) or downthill via the Mist Trail through Little Yosemite Valley to Happy Isles in the Valley. Take the daily morning bus from the Valley to Tenaya Lake (and beyond).

There's water along the way. For the Half Dome dayhike there is no good water. Take a few quarts along.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

How Long Would Tenaya Lake to Half Dome and back take?

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:56 am

Author: BRADY (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: 05-25-04 13:16

I scanned the forms and found a trail that seems to be recommended a lot.

Tioga Rd/Tenaya Lk -to- Cloud's Rest -to- Half Dome, and then back to Tioga Rd/Tenaya Lk.

Anyone have an idea of how long this would take?
What kind of congestion would I find on this trail?

We would be caring backpacks, so factor that into the equation.
Thanks again.

Re: How Long Would This Take?
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 05-26-04 13:01

The trail isn't congested.

It takes 2 days to get near Half Dome, a day to hike it and back, and another 2 to get back.

You can get near Half Dome in 1 long day (and back in 1 long day) if you are in shape, don't take too much, and spend the full day hiking.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby reesnomad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm

I did a Google search on "Tenaya Lake to Half Dome" can came up with this thread. I have a permit for Sept. 28th 2012 for Half Dome but all the wilderness permits for entry on the 27th to enter at Happy Isles (and to stay at Little Yosemite Valley) are gone. I could request for Glacier Point entry, but thought maybe I would look into entry at Tenaya Lake.

I see it's about 11-miles to the LYV Camp from Tenaya Lake, which is quite doable with a backpack for overnighting. But it would be nice to stay elsewhere other than LYV to get quieter camping. I see the suggestion for Sunrise Creek, but don't see on my map where that camp is and which route to take (Cloud's Rest route or the PCT) Any response to that from anyone?

What I am hoping to achieve is 1-night, maybe 2, out on the trail. Anyone that has done this have the best suggestions, route to take, camping spot(s), etc? I want to be sure to get an early start on the hike up Half Dome to beat the crowds, so the closer I can stay the better. I read in one guide that a good camping spot would be , "... camp in the forested saddle just below Half Dome's northeast shoulder (a little less than a mile from the summit.)" Anyone know if this is permitted? Seems from what I read in Yosemite rules that this could be allowed.

Thanks! Rich
reesnomad
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Avoid LYV--it's extra downhill and crowded. The nearest desirable campground to Half Dome is at the junction of the CRT and JMT. It's shaded and next to Sunrise Creek. It's a half mile or so east of the HDT and JMT junction (which is NOT desirable for camping--shrubs and no flat area).

You can camp at the base of the Half Dome sub-dome. It's nice, but there's no water--you need to bring it yourself. But you're looking at a long day as it is if you're coming from Tenaya Lake.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby reesnomad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

dan wrote:Avoid LYV--it's extra downhill and crowded. The nearest desirable campground to Half Dome is at the junction of the CRT and JMT. It's shaded and next to Sunrise Creek. It's a half mile or so east of the HDT and JMT junction (which is NOT desirable for camping--shrubs and no flat area).

You can camp at the base of the Half Dome sub-dome. It's nice, but there's no water--you need to bring it yourself. But you're looking at a long day as it is if you're coming from Tenaya Lake.

------------------------------

Hey Dan, thanks! Looking at my map, I can see the JMT/CRT junction at 1-mile from the JMT / Half Dome Trail junction. Regulations indicate that it is OK to camp here:

" If you would like to camp in a dispersed Wilderness setting, you must be at least two miles beyond the Little Yosemite Valley campground (at or beyond Moraine Dome or beyond the Half Dome/John Muir Trail junction)."

This would mean that it's 2.5-miles to the top of Half Dome, 1-mile closer than from LYV Camp. That's not bad at all.

Would you recommend bypassing Clouds Rest by turning left to go to the JMT at mile-4.7 from Tenaya Lake or going past Clouds Rest? CRT to camp from that junction would be 5-miles, the bypass would be 4.3-miles. But I've never been to Clouds Rest. But the hike down from Clouds Rest to camp looks like it could hammer the legs. Want to save a bit of juice to enjoy the next day up and out again.

I could also carry water in from Sunrise Creek to camp at the sub-dome, which would be nice too. I can see cracking it and hiking right up Half Dome at first light up would be a really fun thing to do from that point. THAT would be a great way to beat the crowds up... and hopefully down too.

Again, thanks, your advice is really helpful. Rich
reesnomad
Regular
Regular

Postby reesnomad » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:43 pm

dan wrote:Avoid LYV--it's extra downhill and crowded. The nearest desirable campground to Half Dome is at the junction of the CRT and JMT. It's shaded and next to Sunrise Creek. It's a half mile or so east of the HDT and JMT junction (which is NOT desirable for camping--shrubs and no flat area).

Hey Dan, as an update, I just put up this post on the board:

Well, I succeeded in the lottery and got my Half Dome Permit for August 28. Was hoping to backpack & camp the night before up there somewhere (i.e. Sunrise Creek, per Dan's suggestion), rather than do a day hike. But all trailhead permits are gone for Tenaya, Happy Isles, and Glacier Point for entry the day before. Not sure what to do other than cross my fingers, head up there, and try to get a first-come-first-served permit. Pretty risky venture since I'm driving up from San Diego.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks! Rich
reesnomad
Regular
Regular

Return to Half Dome Hiking