Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome alternatives

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome alternatives

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:29 pm

"willing to pay going rate"??? permits are free with a small service charge.

Scalping is illegal.

You can go all the way to the bottom of the cables without the permit. If the ranger has any unused ones, he/she will probably give them to you.

If not, go to Clouds Rest, and get a better view, without permit.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bsip999 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:31 am

These tickets are hotter than the hottest concert tickets. We have Clouds Rest queued up for our second option but would rather not drive up to the Lake Tenaya Lake trail head. I understand doing Clouds Rest from the Valley is a pretty tough day hike. Also, I heard Rangers don't let you pass Subdome. Can you really get all the way to base of the cables?
bsip999
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 am

The subdome is a decent stopping point all on its own. I don't know where the ranger stands, and they may have changed it, but it's a decent hike with other views along it. I've gone up and never even bothered to climb the subdome - sat on the ridge drinking coffee and enjoying the view from there.

Clouds from the valley is 22 miles round trip, true. But you are doing Half Dome at 16-18 miles (depending on Mist or JMT route) round trip already.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking