Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

any recent Half Dome trip reports

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

any recent Half Dome trip reports

Postby Brent N » Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Has anyone been up to Half Dome in the last week or so, either by way of the Mist Trail or the JMT? Is there still snow on the trail/are crampons and ice axe necessary?

Brent N
Brent N

Re: any recent Half Dome trip reports

Postby Wickett » Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Last week: Went up to Nevada, no ice. Subdome looked like it still had a few spots from the recent storms and the top of Half Dome still had its cap.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu May 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Saw a report that said snow past the spring (along the trail up the ridge), and all the way up the subdome. they had trekking poles and one of them had yaktrax.

Cables aren't up yet, either.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Brent N » Thu May 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I went up last weekend. There was snow for about a mile leading up to subdome. Subdome itself had up to 10 feet of snow in places. I wished that I had crampons and an ice axe. There are some slopes that you have cross in snow where slipping is not an option. The snow up there is shifting. While descending, we saw a several thousand foot avalanche off Cloud's Rest. There is very little snow on Half Dome itself. None of it was a problem. The cables are "down" but that just means that they aren't up on poles. They are still there anchored to the granite. You can find a trip report on http://www.whitneyzone.com at : http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/14324/Half_Dome_with_Cables_Down#Post14324
Brent N

Return to Half Dome Hiking