Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Substitute

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Substitute

Postby kdellama » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi everyone,

My friend and I have a permit for Little Yosemite Valley from Happy Isles this weekend (June 17-June 19). Our original plan was to climb half dome, but a report just came out that the cables wont be installed until June 22. Can you please suggest some alternate day hikes we can do from Little Yosemite Valley?

Thanks!
kdellama

Re: Half Dome Substitute

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Going up to Bunnell cascades, Merced Lake, and as far out that direction as you like is a Real Winner.

Going to Clouds Rest will give you better views than Half Dome.

Go back to Nevada Falls, up the JMT for a minute, and take the Panorama Trail - go up toward the Clark Range and wander around for a while, or head for Glacier Point or up Ilillouette creek.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kdellama » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Thank you for your reply. How difficult is it to get to Clouds Rest this time of year? We have no experience hiking in the snow...

Thanks.
kdellama

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 pm

I agree with AlmostThere, Clouds Rest or Bunnell Cascades and Merced Lake. I read a recent report on Clouds Rest that said it still had a good amount of snow up top and I don't have any information on the trail conditions.

The hike up the Merced River Gorge past Bunnell Cascades this time of year is spectacular! Here's a link to photos from a trip I did there at this time 3 years ago: https://picasaweb.google.com/dave.mille ... rcedCanyon. There is definitely a lot more water coming down the merced than when I was there. It is magical!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby kdellama » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks for the pics - looks like a great trip. I was bummed out when I heard the half dome news, but now I am excited again! I think we will go with Bunnell Cascades / Merced Lake.
kdellama

Return to Half Dome Hiking