Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome hike advice

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome hike advice

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:24 am

Half Dome
Author: Michelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 09-13-05 17:44

During a day hike to Half Dome where is the best place to eat at the (Happy Isles) end of the trail? And what time do they close?

Thanks!

Re: Half Dome
Author: Jon (---.goldrush.com)
Date: 09-14-05 07:07

Michelle:

Half Dome is one of the more challenging day hikes, and you should plan on it taking you most of the day (4800' elevation gain, 16 miles - plan on 12 hours or longer). So you'll need to bring food and water with you.

The snack shop at Happy Isles doesn't offer much, and is over-priced. I'd recommend eating at Curry Village. Many hikers enjoy the Pizza deck, which is open until 10 pm.

There is restricted access on Half Dome until 10/4. The final 1/2 mile of the trail is open Friday - Sunday.

Hope this helps!

Jon
www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com

Author: Michelle (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-14-05 11:47

Hey Jon!

Thanks again for your response!

How much food and water do you recommend? And what other things do you think (I have an idea and have done some reading) we need to go up with?

Curry Village sounds like a good suggestion for food! Thanks!

Michelle

Date: 09-14-05 16:17

Michelle:

With regards to water, I recommend that you start out with 1 - 2 quarts per person and carry a water filter with you. There is a water fountain at the Vernal Fall Footbridge (no need to filter this water), and then I fill up when I get past Nevada Fall (plenty of river access, and of course you do need to treat this water).

Food varies from person to person. I typically bring a sandwhich or bagel, 1/4 lb of trail mix and a piece of fruit.

Your going to have a great trip, Half Dome is one of the best trails in Yosemite!

Date: 09-15-05 09:03

By the way..make sure that you have a good breakfast before you start out. Also, you might want to carry a headlamp in case it takes you longer than expected to finish the hike.

Author: Michelle (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-15-05 11:22

Hey Jon!

Headlamp was on the list but thanks for the reminder. Any thoughts about a camel back versus filtering water? I drink a lot of water and was thinking about getting a 100 oz camel back/back pack from North Face. It seems like the most feasible idea...but maybe it's not as practical as I image.

Have a great day Jon!

Thanks again! Michelle

Date: 09-15-05 12:21

Michelle:

I've never used a camel back. If you fill up the camel back at the Vernal Fall Footbridge and limit your drinking you may be able to make it with the 100 oz. However, I would still recommend taking either a filter or pills as back up (I actually find the few minutes it takes to filter my water at Nevada Fall a welcomed forced pause in the hike). Just about every time I go up I see people who are asking if anyone has spare water.

Jon

Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 09-15-05 15:14

I use a Platypus which is about the same as a Camelback as far as I know. It's 4 litersand should be enough. A filter would be nice, but the water along the way after Little Yosemite Valley are just small, muddy streamlets.

A lot of people do ask for water, but they bring very little. I see a lot of people with no water or one of those little one quart or pint and a half water bottles.

Author: mrfozzie (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: 09-15-05 16:41

Definitely a filter. Though I didn't really need that much water going uphill, ironically, I really needed it coming down (the faster pace + afternoon sun will get you). We left the camelback at home, and took our filter. There's was no way I was going to carry all 4.0-4.5 liters ALL the way in addition to all the little things in the backpack. Instead I took two 1-liter bottles, and 1 empty bottle per person. I refilled at the final water filterable source (Merced River stream on the right side in Little Yosemite Valley). The water there is clear as long as you don't choose stagnant water pools. I actually blogged this information recently.

http://mrfozzie.blogspot.com

Hope it helps you.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking