Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

How sad

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

How sad

Postby voodooskin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 pm

I did the half dome cables route 25 years ago, I thought it would be cool. It was (and still is no doubt). Checked the weather, packed up my stuff, did the hike. Beautiful.

Look at this now, you need a permit and deft fingers to get one; if you miss the 3 minute online window to get one four months in advance you are SOL. Given these things are a commodity, I'm sure everyone's pressed to get to the top on their day lest they be hosed, weather be damned, since you know that's your chance for the season. That is, unless the rangers decide for you when it's not safe and shut it down.

It seems a lot like Disneyland w/o the expense: here, go jump through all these hoops then obey the ride operator. The Valley's been a nightmare for a long time with all the tourists, but at least you could get away to the high country with a bit of effort.

The zone of bureaucratic hassle certainly will keep me out of the park this season, so apparently the system they've devised works. Be sure and keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times when visiting the park, y'all, and be sure to visit the concession stands for some delicious snack foods on the way out.
voodooskin
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Half Dome Hiking