Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

questions about hiking the half dome

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

questions about hiking the half dome

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:04 am

Author: todd bisson (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-09-04 06:38

i will be hiking the half dome with several members of my yoga class. i know it's a challenging experience, so i am looking for advice on what i/we should know. any thoughts would be most appreciated!

clarifying my question!
Author: todd bisson (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-09-04 06:52

now that i have read a few other posts, here are some specific questons:

1) we are planning on doing HD sunday 9/19 (driving up from LA on sat evening, overnighting in el portal or mariposa motel, and then up early sun morning). is that a busy time/day on the trail? would rather do it when there are fewer folks out, but still on a weekend.

2) plan to start up at 6am. is the park actually open then?

3) do a we need to pay to enter/get get a permit? if so, can the be gotten the day before (and if so, what are the hours for

4) how is parking at that time of the day on a saturday?

5) is the trail head easy to find and is there any advice on where to park to best access the trail head?

6) all of my group are in good shape and are experienced day hikers. how long should be expect to take to: a - get to the top, b - make the total round trip?

7) anything else we should take beyond garden gloves for the chain and plenty of water/snacks?

8) is there an online trail map for the HD trail?

thanks again in advance for the advice!

Re: hiking the half dome
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 08-09-04 10:17

1) That's busy, but dooable. I'd rather have a full nights sleep before doing Half Dome.

2) The park is always open. You can enter any time of day (or night).

3) No permit or fee for day hikes.

4) You should find parking Sat. evening or Sun. morning. Many people drive in during the day and drive out in the evening.

5) It's easy to find. Just ride the shuttle bus and get off at the Happy Isles stop. Closest parking is probably Curry Village.
Get a map of the Valley (free ones are available in the Visitor Center and entrance stations)

6) 6 hours up, 3 or 4 hours down. This varies greatly by individual though. Allow about an hour on the top.

7) No, except maybe a camera.

8) See http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite ... _maps.html
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking