Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half dome with kids

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half dome with kids

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:05 am

Author: Morag Howard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 07-23-04 07:40

We are planning a trip to Yosemite as part of a 6 weeks trip to the States and Canada from Scotland next year 2005 and wish to go up half dome with our kids 12, 11 & 9. They are all good walkers and have done several 3 day walks in the past. I have found a small amount of info on the internet re half dome, but nothing about taking kids. Would like to split the walk into 2 days and camp at Little Yosemite overnight. Does anyone have info that they could pass on?
Morag Howard

Re: Half dome with kids
Author: Dan Anderson (---.pmbc.com)
Date: 07-23-04 08:57

I've seen lots of kids on Half Dome, usually 9 or 10 on up. They seem to do better than their parents, as they are not so high off the ground and are morflexible.

However, climbing Half Dome is an individual thing. Some adults and children don't like it at all and stay at the base waiting for the rest of the family.

I would buy a pair of cheap cotton gardening gloves for the trip up Half Dome. It makes gripping the steel cables much easier. Bring plenty of water. Don't go up in during a lightening or thunderstoorm. The cables are just a big lightening rod.

Many people do it in one day by starting early (say around 6). That way, it's cool going up and you have plenty of time.

For Little Yosemite Valley you need a Wilderness Permit. You can get one in the Valley the day before. FOr day hikes, no permit is needed.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking