Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Hike Video

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Hike Video

Postby Reno Frank » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Here's a 21 minute video of my recent Half Dome day hike

https://vimeo.com/49491633
Reno Frank

Re: Half Dome Hike Video

Postby stripgaga » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 am

Pretty cool video. Nice views of everything. I remember pretty much all that vividly because I was in pain, haha. That's cool that you got to see a bear. I thought I was never gonna see one the week I was there but fortunately we did on our last day on a drive to Glacier Point. I was going pretty slow towards the end of Glacier Point road but I slammed on my breaks because I thought it was deer crossing the road but it was a freaking huge mama bear with 2 or 3 little cubs following after.

I don't mean any offense but being older guys, how did you feel when the hike as all done? I'm assuming you guys did it in one day since it looked like you started early in the morning, but I was scared as hell going up those cables. By the start of our return back to Happy Isles my feet were already dying.
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Half Dome Hike Video

Postby Reno Frank » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:42 am

No offense taken. We all felt pretty good. Much better than after our day hike up Mt Whitney last summer. We hike (train) every week near Reno so most of us are in good hiking shape. Usually on our weekly hikes my hips, knees, ankles, and feet ache on the downward hike. And after Whitney several of my toes were trashed. But on this Half Dome hike on my doctor's advice I preloaded my body with Ibuprofen: 400 mg twice a day starting 2 days before the hike. And on the long day of hiking I think I took Ibuprofen 3 or 4 times. I had absolutely no joint pain and my feet and toes were fine. (I did exchange my shoes last summer after Whitney for a half size bigger shoe.) We all had some expected sore leg muscles for a few days after our Half Dome hike. We were nervous going up the cables even afraid to look down but going down was a different story. We were able to enjoy the experience looking down with no problem. Our same group is planning another Yosemite trip at the end of May '13. We plan on hiking Yosemite Falls, 4 Mile Hike, and maybe the Panorama Trail. Any other suggestions?
Reno Frank

Return to Half Dome Hiking