Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Permit Results and Campground Reservation Day

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Permit Results and Campground Reservation Day

Postby joshuahyunlee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 am

I submitted an application for a half dome hiking permit for multiple days. I found out that the results come out on the day the campground reservation opens up (April 15). From what I have read, the campgrounds are usually booked within second or minutes of opening reservations. If the half dome results come out on the same day as the campground reservation, how would you plan to reserve a campground? Is there a method to this or would you just guess what weekend you will be up there and hope for the best?

This is obviously my first time planning a half dome trip so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
joshuahyunlee
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Half Dome Permit Results and Campground Reservation Day

Postby mrhalfdome » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:35 am

Joshua,

Your analysis is correct. You are hosed. The suggestion is to be on the www.recreation.gov website early and have 2-3 computers going. Enter all the data they ask for well before 7...check all the "I agree" statements, then hang tight. At 1 second before 7 hit BUY. As in 6:59:59 Pacific time. It will take a milli-second for the electrons to reach the vendor's computers and you will get in.

That's how Half Dome permits used to b e sold. Now we have a lottery.

You can also try for walk-in campgrounds when you arrive or stay at a Motel...I recommend the Cedar lodge...about 45 mins from the happy Isles trailhead. Begin your hike at 5:30 am.

I did a Webinar on Permits - hear the recording at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/8962574825135240960

Rick
Mr Half Dome
HikeHalfDome.com
mrhalfdome

Re: Half Dome Permit Results and Campground Reservation Day

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Or, just get a campsite and hike one of the hundreds of fantastic sierra destinations that do not require permits and are just as, if not more, scenic and special as the tourist ridden half dome.

happiness is not being one of the herd.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking