Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Lottery

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Lottery

Postby mrhalfdome » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm the aforementioned Mr Half Dome....yesterday I did my 38th hike. I know a lot of NPS people and try to share tidbits I pick up.

Life is a roll of the dice. There are no guarantees in life, so you gotta take chances. There can be no money exchanged for any permits. The park is all-out for stopping scalping type schemes. They encourage people to cancel if they are not using all their slots. Only the Trip leader and Alternate are listed by name and one must be on the hike. The remaining slots can be replaced but not sold. The point is to maximize a fair way to allocate hiking slots.

50 + all cancellations are in the mini-lottery. I went yesterday without a permit, but tried the 2-day.....if you go to recreation.gov, you can see the total they are giving ($8) each day so far. There were 108 for yesterday and I won. Since well over 300 could legally go each day, AND that only abut 240 average each day, the odds of sliding into another's permit are high. In June I had no permit and it took me 10 minutes to link up. I do it up top by the ranger - they don't care - that way I'm not going with real slow folks.

September weekdays are really light...again check the rec gov site and the park's.

Just do it...NIke

Rick
HikeHalfDome.com

f
mrhalfdome

Re: Half Dome Lottery

Postby askus3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Let me see if I have this clear and what I should do. I have had a cancellation by a partipant on my proposed trip. i have a permit for 5 for the climbing of Half Dome on Friday, August 30, but my group is now 4. This person who is not coming is not listed on the permit as a leader/alternate leader. The way I read it is that since I already printed my permit, I can not cancel or get a refund. Thus is it legal to say, meet me at the Happy Isles trailhead @___ HRS and you can join my group for the climbing of Half Dome, call me at ____________ for more details? So I can replace the now vacant slot by posting here...right? Where else can I post the now vacant slot?
askus3
Regular
Regular

Re: Half Dome Lottery

Postby Haweater64 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:21 am

I applied for a permit in the spring but was not successful. My family will be camping at Lower Pines on Sep 12 & 13th. We are 3 adults but I am the only one that wants to make the Hike to Half Dome. I am thinking of having each of us apply as trip leader with me listed as the alternate on their permits. Does this make sense? And if so, do We apply as a group size of 1 or 2? I noticed that the on-line application still gave the option to list an alternate trip leader even if your group size is 1.

I really want to do this hike, so any strategy to get a permit is appreciated. That said, I do not want to be a scumbag and end up with a permit that will not be used.

Thanks
Haweater64
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Half Dome Hiking