Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome in March

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome in March

Postby amyES » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi there

My friend and I are planning on hiking Half Dome at the end of March. Was wondering if anyone had any idea about what the weather conditions may be like along the trail that time of year. I know we've been in a drought this year so I'm thinking that snow may not be that big of a factor.

Thanks!
amyES

Re: Half Dome in March

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 pm

The cables won't be up and there will likely be ice if there is any precipitation - and there will be. The cables are on the same schedule each year, regardless of drought. Unless you are winter climbers, bad idea.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby amyES » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Sorry should have been more specific. We are just going to hike the trail part. Neither of us are climbers so we have no interest in climbing up Half Dome without the cables.
amyES

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Ah, ok. Well, it's winter, so you should be prepared for winter weather - snow, rain, cold. And winter trails - ice if there is no snow, and if the storms continue to roll through every few days there very well may be both.

This week, low temps in the valley (Yosemite valley) are dipping below 20 and frequently do in winter. At higher elevations, you should go prepared for zero, or even subzero, temps. Especially if there has been weather recently, or weather is on the way.

Drought only means there is very little snow relative to the usual many feet of snow - we still need to be well prepared for the subfreezing temps, ice and long nights with no fire - they don't allow fires in winter in Yosemite.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby amyES » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the info. That's super helpful
amyES

Return to Half Dome Hiking