Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Can cables go up early?

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Can cables go up early?

Postby Trojan39 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:39 pm

We're planning on doing clouds rest on may 17th and decided to check off the half dome permit too for the hell of it. We got both and are now wondering if it is even possible that the cables go up earlier than planned. The lady on the phone wouldn't even hazard a guess as to if it could happen and suggested we call back next week. Has anyone ever heard of the cables going up earlier than planned? Weathers been dry lately so that old help.
Trojan39

Re: Can cables go up early?

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 05, 2014 6:41 pm

That's up to the park service, but no, never heard of that date moving early. Don't worry, if you are doing Clouds Rest, you are getting the better experience.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Can cables go up early?

Postby Trojan39 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 am

AlmostThere wrote:That's up to the park service, but no, never heard of that date moving early. Don't worry, if you are doing Clouds Rest, you are getting the better experience.

Thanks. Actually talked to the Ranger office again today (perks of my terrible handwriting I guess) and was told there's actually a pretty good chance they could put them up a full week early. Also, I've definitely heard clouds rest is the better view. Half dome is just one of those things you got to check off Ya know?
Trojan39

Return to Half Dome Hiking