Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome first time

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome first time

Postby spirobulldog » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:07 pm

I have a Permit Confirmation for 1 night Wilderness Permit with Halfdome. Will start at Glacier Point and overnight in LYV
I may go ahead and hike Halfdome on the 1st day, but I plan on doing it the next morning. This will be determined when we get there and I am going to base that decision on weather conditions. Either day is really OK, but doesn't really matter.

This will be on June 11th and 12th.

My main question is----Can I pick the permit up at any office? The way it reads on the park service website is a bit vague. I want to pick it up the day before. In other words, Can I pick it up at Tuolomne Station instead of Valley Station? I want this to be an easy process. Thanks. We plan to do a couple of short hikes in Tuolomne on the 10th.
spirobulldog
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Half Dome first time

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:09 pm

If it is a reserved permit, you can pick it up at any office, but unless you call and make other arrangements all permits left unclaimed by 10 am on the date of the permit are released to people waiting in line. So as long as you pick it up any time before then you can pick it up any time the day before, or the morning of, your trip.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking