Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half dome with a back pack

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half dome with a back pack

Postby Troy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:16 pm

I will be on a multiday backpacking trip and am scheduled to hike up half dome in the middle of the trip. Do people hike up the cables with their backpack on or leave it at the base of the cables? Should I bring gloves or use the ones that people have left there?
Troy

Re: Half dome with a back pack

Postby WanderingJim » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Yes, bring gloves with good thick palms.

If you're backpacking, a lot of people leave their excess camping gear at the junction of the John Muir Trail and the Half Dome Trail. Then go up with a light day pack or their backpack without all the extra gear. No way am I taking 30-35 pounds up the cables on my back.

Or plan to stay a night near that junction and leave your gear at camp. Tons of good spots around there.

And a lot of people leave backpacks and hiking sticks at the top of the sub dome below the cables. But don't leave any food in packs down there that aren't in bear resistant containers. Marmots and squirrels will get into them.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking