Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

1 DAY HIKE OF HALF DOME: Is it possible?

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby centurycyclist » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I have done it twice, and the first time I was 47 years old, and I am a long-distance cyclist. That means pretty much nothing when climbing Half Dome, and doing it in one day up and back. The important things are: eating properly before you leave, bringing snacks that are REAL fuel for hiking, and plenty of water---AND, the most comfortable shoes you own. 18-20 miles, with lots of elevation gain is no small feat, I don't care WHO you are! Yes, you need a purifier of some sort if you do not want to carry that much water. Also, there is a wonderful spring about half=way up what is known as the "never ending forest" but, I would still use the purifier. ( I did not follow my own advice the first time, but lived to tell you this story)
Go for it!!! It is exhilarating! But, at the same time, know when to stop, or turn back whether is it because of your own abilities, or the impending weather.
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Previous

Return to Half Dome Hiking