Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

JMT approaching LYV is the bear superhighway

Discussion about Yosemite black bears, protecting food, automobiles from bears, and preserving and managing Yosemite bears.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

JMT approaching LYV is the bear superhighway

Postby TrayS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:44 pm

I just returned from a wilderness hike with a party of five adults including myself, and spent five nights in Yosemite. Bear activity on the hike:

1-Yosemite Valley backpacker's camp - we saw one bear near North Pines campground
2-Snow Creek, near where the trail meets the trail up to May Lake - no bear sightings
3-May Lake - no bear sightings
4-Sunrise Lakes - no bear sightings
5-JMT junction with the trail down from Cloud's Rest - saw FIVE bears, including two right outside our tent, including one in the middle of the night.

Each time we saw a bear we attempted to scare it away. For the most part they seemed to want to keep some distance, but tended to retreat without urgency (except when we yelled from 10 feet away).

Interestingly, our bear cans were completely undisturbed, as if the bears know they can't get in so don't even bother trying.
TrayS
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Bears