Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Teardrop Camper with small kitchen and Bear concern

Discussion about Yosemite black bears, protecting food, automobiles from bears, and preserving and managing Yosemite bears.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Teardrop Camper with small kitchen and Bear concern

Postby nikki_mv » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:03 am

I am considering bringing a Teardrop camper to Yosemite. They have a small kitchen in the back area, cooking and prep work as well as a fridge. This is a very small trailer but with hard sides. I am worried that any smells related to the kitchen area could attract bears to my sleeping self in this tiny tin can. I have tent camped in Yosemite several times and never had bear problems but the idea of the trailer worries me. Any thoughts?
nikki_mv
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Teardrop Camper with small kitchen and Bear concern

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:18 am

If you pack as you do for tent camping and place all foods, trash and hygeine items in the bear box, you have nothing at all to worry about.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Teardrop Camper with small kitchen and Bear concern

Postby dan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:47 pm

nikki_mv wrote:I am considering bringing a Teardrop camper to Yosemite. They have a small kitchen in the back area, cooking and prep work as well as a fridge. This is a very small trailer but with hard sides. I am worried that any smells related to the kitchen area could attract bears to my sleeping self in this tiny tin can. I have tent camped in Yosemite several times and never had bear problems but the idea of the trailer worries me. Any thoughts?

Here's an old thread on the topic:
viewtopic.php?t=651

Basically, with hard side trailers (not canvas pop-ups), you're ok.

- Dan
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Bears