Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Food protection in an RV

Discussion about Yosemite black bears, protecting food, automobiles from bears, and preserving and managing Yosemite bears.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Food protection in an RV

Postby Tricia_Maine » Fri May 08, 2009 2:23 pm

I haven't been to Yosemite, so I need to know some things about dealing with food in our small RV (22 ft motor home) and bears. Do bears try to get into RV's? How about during the day in parking lots in the Valley? Is it necessary to leave food in the bear boxes at the campground when going in to the Valley, we're camping at the far western side of the park. Can some foods like rice or cereal in glass jars be left in the RV? What about unopened bags of chips or cereal? Thanks
Tricia_Maine

Re: Food protection in an RV

Postby dan » Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Bears generally roam around at night--during the day they are too obvious and too hassled in campgrounds.

A bear can break into a RV, but generally leave it alone if it's occupied--and you can scare it away by banging pots and pans and what not. You are required to store food in the bear boxes in campgrounds. I wouldn't leave a RV unattended with food stored inside.

Bears can smell unopened bags and cans of food. I've seen it first hand.

The only food I haven't seen them interested in is coffee.

Here's some official information on Bears and food storage
http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/
http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstora ... rounds.htm
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pellegrina » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 pm

I once watched this documentary about a bear named Yogi, he had a thing for picnic baskets, I suppose leaving them lying around is unwise.
Pellegrina

Postby syndony » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 am

I bought an extended warranty when I bought my brand new rig. I did not want any headaches for 7 years. The warranty is pretty comprehensive and does cover everything I want it to cover. It is fully transferable (selling feature) and refundable if not used. What I generally bought was peace of mind. Some say it is a waste of money, maybe, some say it saved them a lot of money on expensive repairs. A check with the BBB should provide you with some info on First Canadian. You can then base your decision on the information received. You may also want to check the Good Sam Club's Continued Service Plan (sort of an extended warranty). I understand that it is quite good, reliable and reasonable.
syndony

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 am

Old thread, but figured I'd add my two cents. I've camped in my trailer (first a hybrid and now a 5th wheel)in Yosemite a total of 7 or 8 times. In the hybrid, food that was not in the fridge, I kept in plastic bags. In the 5th wheel, I keep everything as if I was camping anywhere else. Fridge or cabinets.

Just don't leave stuff sitting outside on the picnic table.
Last edited by hotrod4x5 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jenny123 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:37 am

Well, I don't know, I wouldn't carry any food that has a strong smell. Because I can imagine that bears might try to look for food in that case. But if you carry food in cans, there shouldn't be any danger.
jenny123

Postby legaleagle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 pm

dan wrote:Bears generally roam around at night--during the day they are too obvious and too hassled in campgrounds.

Thanks a lot on the safety tips and precautions. I am definitely going to put the tips into action coz I am scared of bears, they scare the life out of me.
legaleagle
First-timer
First-timer

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:17 am

legaleagle wrote:
dan wrote:Bears generally roam around at night--during the day they are too obvious and too hassled in campgrounds.

Thanks a lot on the safety tips and precautions. I am definitely going to put the tips into action coz I am scared of bears, they scare the life out of me.
What kind of trailer do you have?
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kathy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:27 am

Coffee was the only thing we left out at our campsite. Bears roamed through on at least 1 occasion, not even a sniff towards the coffee.

Go figure. It was, however, decaf. :wink:
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 am

Coffee and tobacco are safe. I have personally seen bears avoid both. There might be one coffee loving nicotine addict bear out there that is ruining that statement though! :lol:
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TrayS » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:12 pm

What about liquor?
TrayS
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Liquor probably depends on the type - some smell pretty sweet.

Bears love beer.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Bears