Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Time to get in line to get Happy Isles pass-through permit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Time to get in line to get Happy Isles pass-through permit

Postby jh375 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Hello,

I'm hoping to hike the JMT, starting at Happy Isles, leaving on Tuesday August 6th. I can arrive at Yosemite Wilderness Permit Center on the day before, on the first YARTS bus from the East, which arrives at about 7.20am on Monday 5th.

Does anyone know what my chances are of getting a permit for the next day?

Alternatively - could I arrive at that time and get a spot in Camp 4? (in which case I'd stay overnight and line up really early for a permit leaving on 7th).

Finally - I do have a permit for Lyell Canyon, leaving on the 6th. Would I be allowed to stay in the Yosemite Village Backpacker's campground overnight on the 5th (the "day before" my hike), and then go line up again for another permit on the 7th. I guess if they don't let me do this I can take the hiker's bus up to Tulomne and just start at Lyell - but it would be a shame to miss out the first part of the hike.

Thanks!
jh375
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Time to get in line to get Happy Isles pass-through perm

Postby dan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm

The fact you're starting mid-week is real good. Also, being there the morning before should help. But, IDK what your chances really are.

Maybe others can chime in on your chances.

Yeah, the permit is good for camping at any Backpacker's Campground the night before. To tell the truth, I never had anyone check, but I didn't hang around the campground either.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking