Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

When do the mosquitos die off mostly?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

When do the mosquitos die off mostly?

Postby holly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm hiking in the high country out of Tuolumne Meadows August 3-10, how bad will the mosquitos be (between 7-10 thousand feet?)
Thanks in advance!!!

Holly
holly

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:38 pm

Just got back from camping at Emerick, Bernice, and Florence Lakes.
All around 10K. Mosquitos were mild. i.e. they were NOT think and
just a little bit of mosquito dope was all that was needed.

I would bet that by Aug 3 they will be all gone.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

mosquitos

Postby adrianhoff » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:23 am

Just returned from 10 days in Yosemite's back-country. Had rain three days in a row. Mosquitos are gone from lower elevations (Little Yosemite Valley, Merced Lake). No problem at the Sunrise Camp, but they're a bit of a nuisance at the middle Sunrise Lake and at (lower) Cathedral Lake. The only place on my itinerary that they're still really bothering people is at Vogelsang Lake and at the Vogelsang Camp. Those areas should be clear by the end of July. I'd still carry a bug-shirt and head net, just in case. They hang out in some areas longer than others.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby mozierfamily » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:18 pm

I can verify that the mosquitos are lessening in intensity. We were up in Vogelsang July 11-12 and they were fierce! It sounds like a few weeks will be making lots of difference since other hikers are experiencing a lot less mosquitos just 7-10 days later.
mozierfamily
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking