Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best Strategy for Backpacker with Half Dome Permit?

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best Strategy for Backpacker with Half Dome Permit?

Postby Tampa-Hiker » Mon May 26, 2014 9:16 am

Hi, I was wondering if someone might have some advice for 1st time Yosemite visitor, or tell me if you think I've come up with the best strategy already. My wife and I are hikers and tent campers. I applied for a half dome permit, and was awarded it in the lottery for mid-Sept. That's fine, I was flexible and have already booked flight. Problem is, I didn't apply for a wilderness/trailhead permit, and I would much rather summit half dome after camping at Little Yosemite Valley the night before (as opposed to an 18 mile day hike from Upper Pines). No surprise, LYV Campground is filled up.

My strategy:

1) Book an Upper Pines tent site now, thus at least guaranteeing us a spot to camp if #2 below does not work;

2) Get in line the day before HD permit and try to get either a Happy Isles to LYV or Glacier Pt to LYV wilderness permit, either of which would allow us to camp at LYV.

If getting a wilderness permit does not work out, at least we have our half dome permit, and we'll just suck it up and do the 18 mile day hike from Upper Pines. I plan on staying on "east coast time" while we're there, so we'll be bright eyed and ready by 4 AM anyway.

Any thoughts or alternatives? Thanks
Tampa-Hiker

Re: Best Strategy for Backpacker with Half Dome Permit?

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 26, 2014 4:02 pm

You should have applied for a wilderness permit that included Half Dome - your day hiking permit is invalid on a backpacking trip.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Tampa-Hiker » Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Ok, well, if that's the case than I guess it's settled. We'll be doing the 17 or 18 mile day hike and camping in upper pines. Would have preferred to break it up, but no big deal. Thanks.
Tampa-Hiker

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 27, 2014 12:15 pm

Or, try for a walk in wilderness permit with a Half Dome permit and abandon the day hiking permit.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Tampa-Hiker » Tue May 27, 2014 1:37 pm

I'll try that. Thanks again
Tampa-Hiker

Return to Half Dome Hiking