Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

backpacking trail in the lower sierras

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

backpacking trail in the lower sierras

Postby ninhsavestheday » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:52 am

What's a good backpacking trail in the lower sierra (closest to southern California) that normally allow fires in established pits?
ninhsavestheday
Regular
Regular

Re: backpacking trail in the lower sierras

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:10 am

There are currently fire restrictions in Sequoia National Forest which encompasses most of the southern Sierra.
Inyo does not have anything posted yet about restrictions. But calling before going is the best thing.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ninhsavestheday » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:53 pm

are there any recommended trails in sequoia?

will the fire ban be lifted in fall?
ninhsavestheday
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Forest or Park?

I recommend all of them - they all have loads of scenic places to see. If you want high elevation, the Alta trail, the Twin Lakes trail, the Lakes trail are all excellent. If you want big trees, any of the grove loops have their share of huge trees - or you can backpack out to Redwood Meadow. If you want waterfalls there aren't so many in the park, but Mist Falls and Tokopah falls.

If you want to include trails in Kings Canyon, most of those out of the canyon itself are steep and strenuous. Redwood Mountain grove makes an excellent 10 mile day hike or an easy overnight trip.

Fire bans aren't lifted until enough rainfall to reduce the risk - I doubt that will happen til well into winter.

I'm going up to the Tablelands myself this weekend - I won't be making any fires, it's well above 10,000 feet, and I'll be perfectly fine with that - some of us find the scenery so enrapturing that it's frankly too much nuisance to bother fussing with a fire.

AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ninhsavestheday » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:23 pm

appreciate the wisdom
ninhsavestheday
Regular
Regular

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park