Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Where in Wawona should I backpack?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Where in Wawona should I backpack?

Postby Mom and Baby » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm looking for a place in Wawona to backpack with a group of 8, including children. This will be in mid-August. What trails are nice this time of year and have only terrain friendly to children and moms with babies on their shoulders?

Am I likely to encounter mosquitoes in Wawona this time of year? If so, what time of day are they out?

Thanks,
Tara
Mom and Baby

Re: Where in Wawona should I backpack?

Postby dan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 pm

The best backpack from Wawona is up the Chilnualna Falls trail, but it's not for children. It's a tough uphill trail.

I would take the trail from Wawona east of the Wawona Road that heads north along Alder Creek to Westfall Meadows then ends at Glacier Point Road at Bridalveil Creek Campground. Some friends of mine did a slow 2-day backpack from Bridalveil Creek south to Wawona. It's generally downhill, but requires a shuttle.

An alternate is to head to Chinquipin instead of Bridalveil Creek. The last (northern) half of the route is shown as a trail, but it's realy an old railroad bed. The rail is gone and it looks like a one lane dirt road, that is closed to traffic (as it's officially a trail now).

My only problem is the trail is low and in the forest and doesn't have many views. But it's in cool forest, low elevation (less risk of altitude sickness), and NOT crowded. There's some fine sugar pine stands along the way. Look for them with the long outstretched limbs with long sugarpine cones hanging down from the tips of the limbs.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking