Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First time, 3 day hike trail suggestions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First time, 3 day hike trail suggestions

Postby entheogen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Me and my friend would like to go on a 3 day hike in Yosemite for his birthday next month...

I have been to Yosemite several times but have never backpacked. I was wondering what trail we should consider? Something that we could do in 3 days. I really wouldn't mind a trail that is going to be a somewhat challenging at times, or that is a little less travled by others....I would also like to do a little bit of fishing along the way if possible. Just looking for a good first backpacking trip in yosemite :wink: ...

I would consider my self in good physical shape and will be even better fit by the time we go....

I have an excellent sense of direction, and I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to outdoors or survival in the "woods"....I can read the weather pretty well...

So any trail recommendations?....

Anything we should know before we get ahead of ourselves?...

Thanks
entheogen
First-timer
First-timer

Re: First time, 3 day hike trail suggestions

Postby dan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 pm

I think the best jumping-off place is Tuolumne Meadows. It's away from the busy Yosemite Valley and you start out in the high country. There's a campground, store, outdoor shop, fast food restaurant, and visitor center there.

Lyell Canyon is beautiful (south of Tioga Road) and you can hike to Vogelsang or Donahue Pass, as is the hike down to Glen Aulin along the Tuolumne River.

You could hike down to Yosemite Valley via the John Muir Trail, but you need to shuttle via the daily hikers bus from the Valley to Tuolumne.

Fishing? I don't know much there, but my fishing friends head to the lakes away from the Tioga Road (e.g., Young Lakes) or fish along Lyell Fork or the Tuolumne River.

You must bring a bear-proof food container. These can be rented where you get your Wilderness Permit.

Here's a rough park map (you need a better map on the trail):
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite ... rk_map.jpg

More information is at the official NPS wilderness webpage:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dbiggs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:32 pm

I did a nice three day last month - one night at Glen Aulin, next night at Camp May and out. Lots of good fishing along the way to Glen Aulin and at May lake. Lots of bear activity at Glen Aulin too though.
dbiggs

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:06 pm

For FIRST time backpack trip I recommend Glen Aulin.
Get a permit for Glen Aulin passthru. Go beyond Glen Aulin towards
Waterwheels and find a spot somewhere near California Falls.
The next day hike down to Return Creek Bridge and back to your
campsite (1500 ft. elevation difference). Day 3 out.

It is a fairly easy first-time trip. Then next year come back early in
the year and see the difference in the falls. And maybe do the
entire Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.

I don't recommend get Glen Aulin permit unless you like camping
with loads of other people right next to you.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose. All the hikes in
Yosemite are splendid.
Have fun.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

RE: First time 3 day backpacking

Postby JoeHiker53 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:42 pm

I did a 3 day trip backpacking solo first time in Yosemite two years ago. I chose the Young Lakes trail out of Tuolomne Meadows, as it has a good elevation gain, not too crowded and offers good fishing.

I recommend this one, you can do a loop starting up past Lembert Dome and Dog Lake and get to the lakes after a 6 mile hike in, then spend a layover day exploring the lakes. The second lake had the best fishing, but third lake had the best scenery. Then on the way out you can come down the western trail that takes you over to Soda Springs, it's 8 miles back to the trailhead that way, but more forested.

I'm sure no matter which way you go, you will be pleased. Yosemite is awesome!
Not all who wander are lost.
JoeHiker53

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:26 am

I'll second JoeHikers recommendation. On your "layover" day
(with luck it is your friends birthday), you may want to summit
Mt. Conness. Incredible Views from there. Minimally if you go
to Young Lakes check out the uppermost Lake... as Joe says... it
has the best view...
I'd say Young Lakes is not a "beginner" hike though... it should challenge you...

Glen Aulin proper is a highly used trail and unfortunately the park
still is giving horse rides on it which just ruins the trail IMO.
(I love walking thru fresh horse poo).

Anyway, have fun! (Joe is right again... Yosemite is Awesome!)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:57 am

bill-e-g wrote:IGlen Aulin proper is a highly used trail and unfortunately the park
still is giving horse rides on it which just ruins the trail IMO.

That's true. What I do is walk down the left bank of the Tuolumne River (facing downstream)--that is the southwest bank. There's a path along the river not on any maps that appears to be an old, unused trail. I even found some old sheepherder carvings on an old tree along the way--but don't expect to find it.

At the bridge around Little Devil's Postpole I rejoin the trail.

Beyond Glen Aulin (either Cold Canyon/PCT or Tuolumne River down to Waterwheel Falls) there's not as much horse/mule trenching of the trails.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Hey, thanks! I'll try that next time. (I know the bridge, never saw little devils postpile mentioned there before though.. ???)

Just went to Mattie Lake.... cross country'd after about 1/4 mile beyond
Glen Aulin... got there and was very tired... looked across the lake
and there were a couple of groups... I said... wha?!?
On my way to Virginia Lake it turns out there is a highly used trail
to Mattie Lake from the Meadow in Cold Canyon (guess I should
have gone with my original route...)

Anyway, my question is.. do you know any other such trails?
I've been looking over very old Topos (1900-1929) to find other
things to do/old trails to explore... :)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 pm

bill-e-g wrote:Hey, thanks! I'll try that next time. (I know the bridge, never saw little devils postpile mentioned there before though.. ???)

Little Devils Postpile is on Wilderness Press Maps, but not USGS topos (although it may be on the latest 7.5' ones). It's on the SW bank of the Tuolumne River. It's a basalt outcropping similar to the real Devils Postpile, but on a lot smaller scale. Also has pikas (or some similar rodent) around it.

The east bank of the Lyell Fork has a similar trail unmapped trail.

A friend of mine is good at finding old Indian paths, or actually faint traces. I'm better than most at finding unused paths, but he's the best at it that I know.

Update: the Indian paths I allude to are not in Yosemite.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking