Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tent Trailer Refrigerator

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tent Trailer Refrigerator

Postby TrailerDad » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:43 am

Hey All,

It's our first time taking our Tent Trailer to Yosemite and I'm wondering about storing food in it's fridge. We're used to keeping some of our cold stuff, lunch meats, water, milk in the trailer's small fridge, but I don't want any bear problems. Would the fridge be considered safe enough, or should it all go in a cooler in the bear box?

Thanks!
TrailerDad

Re: Tent Trailer Refrigerator

Postby dan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:14 pm

TrailerDad wrote:It's our first time taking our Tent Trailer to Yosemite and I'm wondering about storing food in it's fridge. We're used to keeping some of our cold stuff, lunch meats, water, milk in the trailer's small fridge, but I don't want any bear problems. Would the fridge be considered safe enough, or should it all go in a cooler in the bear box?

That's a tough one. No question that a bear can break into a Tent Trailer and into a fridge.

On the other hand, they seem to leave RVs alone, which contain fridges. A RV is slightly more secure and air-tight than a Tent Trailer. Both have the advantage of keeping the fridge out of sight. Personally, I wouldn't do it--I would store it all in a bear box. Maybe others can chime in on this . . .
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mtn man » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:33 am

If it's a soft sided tent trailer (most are) I'd play it safe and put everything with odor(food, toiletries, etc.) into the bear box (just as if you were in a tent).
mtn man
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Wickett » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:24 pm

The actual regulation to store food is that it have hard sides, the trailer not the food. So no food in the tent trailer.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Jenniferbuttler » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:51 am

I was looking to find a small size fridge and comes up here. It's a quiet nice for trip the bets thing about that anyone with even small resources can afford it.
Jenniferbuttler
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds