Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Question about the climbers on El Cap.

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Question about the climbers on El Cap.

Postby rick56 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:16 am

This is not meant to be rude or a joke question. I heard two guys just finished free climbing El Capitan. They took just over two weeks to do it. I am not a climber and was wondering where and how do they releave themselves when they are hanging 2000 feet up? Do they use a bucket and lower it to the ground? They don't just go bombs away do they? And I suppose they had to pull two weeks worth of food along as well? I've seen a commercial showing people sleeping in some kind of tent anchored to a sheer cliff face. I guess that is how they slept? Pretty amazing thing to basically climb all that way up like that. Not my cup of tea though. Congrats to them, I'm glad they made it.
rick56
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Question about the climbers on El Cap.

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Responsible climbers use wag bags for solid waste, which are carried with them, taken out of the wilderness and disposed of. It is not a difficult thing to take very light food along for a long climb. Bat hammocks or Porta-ledges are standard climber equipment as well.

A lot of the advances in big wall climbing were native to Yosemite.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portaledge
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_wall_climbing
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite