Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First timers need help

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First timers need help

Postby Momofthree » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:24 pm

We are trying to plan a first time trip from the eastern part of US. We had thought about flying into Reno, visiting Lake Tahoe for a night or two, heading to Yosemite for two to three nights and then down to Sequoia National Park. All of this in 7 days, which now I am thinking may be undoable. We will be there in July and know that time is running out to even find a place to stay. For all you experts, I know you are shaking your heads, but we just never realized how much was involved in planning this trip. My three teenage girls 17-19 are extremely excited to venture out of east coast so want to make this a fun and eventful trip. Unfortunately our time is strapped due to girls going on mission trips and soccer. We love to hike and do want to try to avoid high traffic areas. Can you help with itinerary and must see sights. We are thinking about Tenaya Losge unless we can get a place in El Portal for convenience (unless someone gives us a better suggestion) thanks in advance for your help.
Momofthree
First-timer
First-timer

Re: First timers need help

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:48 am

El Portal is for sure the better choice of those two. Frankly, I would skip Lake Tahoe. Fly to San Fran and make the 4 hour drive to El Portal. If you give yourself 4 - 5 nights in El Portal you will be able to experience so much more than most people who visit Yosemite. The first day spend getting oriented with the park. Take the excellent Valley Floor tour given in open air trams. Well worth the 2 hours and $20 or so bucks each. Then take your car to Bridalveil Fall and take the short hike to the base. Spend time at Tunnel View. Some time at Gates of the Valley. Hike to the top of Vernal Falls and maybe all the way to the top of Nevada if you are in shape for it. That will fill one day. Spend a day up in Tuolumne Meadows. Spend another half day renting a raft for the Merced. Take your time floating down stream, don't just rush. Spend the other half of that day hiking one of the valley floor loops. Spend another day up at Glacier Point. Take the easy hike to the top of Sentinel Dome, stay for sunset if you can. If you have an extra day, and are very adventurous, hike to the top of Yosemite Falls. Most of all, have fun!
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite