Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glacier Point Road hikes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Glacier Point Road hikes

Postby yackerz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm headed to yosemite for my honeymoon in July next season.
We'll be spending 2 full days in the area, and I was just wondering which hikes between these 2 would you prefer and why would you recommend the one over the other.

Sentinel Dome (is it worth going to Taft Point as well?)

or

The beginnings of the Panorama Trail until views of Illilouette falls and arrival at Panorama Point.

My future wife isn't the most fearsome when it comes to heights, but would appreciate the scenery. Are either of these hikes going to give you that feeling of one misstep could spell doom?
yackerz

Postby goingyard » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:20 pm

I am not sure how far you want to walk, I would do the Illilouette falls. There is some great thing to see on the trail. If you want to extend your hike I would recomend hiking down to the valley floor. You will hike by both vernal and nevada falls. They are both great to see. I don't think that your future wife should have any fears on the trail. They are real secure.
goingyard
Regular
Regular

Re: Glacier Point Road hikes

Postby dan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:53 pm

yackerz wrote:Sentinel Dome (is it worth going to Taft Point as well?)

Great view of the backcountry. No height problem--it's a rounded dome.

Good view of Yosemite Valley from Taft Point. . Taft Point has fearsome dropoffs.

Glacier Point has a better view, and is well-protected from dropoffs, but is more crowded. Go early in the day.

yackerz wrote:The beginnings of the Panorama Trail until views of Illilouette falls and arrival at Panorama Point.

I would take the morning tour bus up to Glacier Point and walk down the Panorama Trail to Yosemite Valley. There's some wet steps on the Mist Trail below Vernal Falls, but they can be easily bypassed with the less-scary John Muir Trail (aka the Mule Trail or Mule Route). Personally, I like the mist, but wet steps and crowds can be intimidating.

See this map (page 2):
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite ... p_2006.pdf
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby yackerz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:39 pm

In the morning,
I was thinking about doing the lower end of the panorama trail. The mist trail up until the top of vernal then come back down the john muir trail.
Spend the early afternoon at lower yosemite falls, and grabbing lunch.

Around 3 heading up to glacier point and doing the upper end of the panorama trail past Illilouette Creek to Panorama point which is just past illiouette creek.

By the time that is done its sunset time at glacier point + I save the $ for the shuttle trip.

Sound like a good plan?
yackerz

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking