Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Toulumne backpackers to May Lake

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Toulumne backpackers to May Lake

Postby Rufus2014 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:26 pm

From Tuolumne backpackers campground...where and what trail to take towards May Lake backpackers campground? Do we need bear can there? Should we bring water filter? Is campfire allowed in May Lake. We have May Lake permit for next month. Very much appreciate any input.

Thank you!
Rufus2014

Re: Toulumne backpackers to May Lake

Postby JdBSound » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:47 pm

are you on a wilderness permit planing on camping out a night or two on your way to May lake? if so you 100% need one of the Yosemite approved bear canisters...(they are listed on the parks web site) other wise check and see if there are bear boxes at the two camping locations and if so i don't believe you do although check before you go!

also you can rent them there for $5 a day so depending on how long you'll be there that may be the better option!
JdBSound
Regular
Regular

Postby Rufus2014 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:33 am

Yes, wilderness permit. Thank you for the tips! JDBSound
Rufus2014

Postby JdBSound » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:41 am

What's days is your permit for? Looks like we may be in the same area around the same time next month
JdBSound
Regular
Regular

Postby Rufus2014 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:14 pm

We will be at May Lake on Mon, 9/7 and staying at Tuolumne campground the night before. Would love to say hello if you'll be there. Do we need water filter at May Lake?
Rufus2014

Postby Phil » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Let's see...first things first...yes, you're always required to have and use a bear can when staying overnight in any wilderness area (you can rent one when you pick up your permit). Second, at May Lake itself, the water is chlorinated, but I'm assuming you'll want some water for the trail and don't really want the extra weight of carrying multiple liters the entire way, so yes, bring a filter. The best route is to go from Tuolumne Meadows to Glen Aulin, then turn left and head up to May Lake. Total trip length is about 14 miles, one way. Finally, you can't build a fire within 1/4 mile of the High Sierra Camp at May Lake, but if you're staying in the backpackers' camp, there is a group fire ring, so if you build one, expect to share it with everyone.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Rufus2014 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:11 am

Thank you Phil, very informative. Happy trails to 'ya.
Rufus2014

Postby Grzldvt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:25 am

Slight correction. I believe the High Sierra camp will be closed when you arrive, as I cannot get a reservation for the day you arrive. You will need a water filter, as the running water will be shut off. Second there are a pantload of bear boxes at May Lake, so a canister might not be required... Check with the ranger when you get your permit. No fires at May Lake, except in the group ring by the High Sierra camp. However downed wood is extremely hard to come by. This area and for many, many 100's of yards around the camp has been picked pretty clean.

Next there is a trail that goes from Toulumne to May Lake, you don't need to go to Glen Aulin and then to May Lake, albiet it is much more scenic. The trail parallels Tioga Road and is much shorter. You need to look for the trail that leaves Toulumne and heads to Tenaya Lake go past Tenaya. You will cross over Tioga Road and take an uphill trail that will put you into the backside of the May Lake parking lot, go through the lot and take the trail up to May Lake.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:10 am

Good points, but the tentative closing date for May Lake this year is after breakfast is served on Sept. 13th, weather and conditions dependent. That trail that runs almost entirely along Tioga Rd is nice, but it's never out of earshot of passing cars and that, in addition to all the people you'll see, diminishes the experience...for me anyhow. I can't say for sure, but I doubt the rangers will let him go without a can. I guess it depends on if the plan is to push through the entire way in one day, but there are so many places to camp along the route (Glen Aulin (yep, lockers there too), McGee Lake, Cathedral Creek, Poly Dome Lakes, Raisin Lake) that someone might want or need to overnight it before getting to May Lake. That 14 miles is entirely doable, but it's going to be at least a fairly arduous and long day, so why not bring a can and leave all the options open to take the time to enjoy the trail and come into May Lake earlier on day two and not be so trashed when you get there?

http://www.yosemitepark.com/high-sierra ... ility.aspx
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby transponster » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:25 am

Regarding fires at May Lake HSC... there are fire rings at individual campsites in the backpacker's campground. We had a fire ring, our immediate neighbors had one, and several others did as well. But yeah, as far as downed wood goes, it's pretty well picked clean in that whole area.
transponster
Regular
Regular

Postby JdBSound » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:52 am

Rufus2014 wrote:We will be at May Lake on Mon, 9/7 and staying at Tuolumne campground the night before. Would love to say hello if you'll be there. Do we need water filter at May Lake?

i get in on the 8th and my first permit is the 11th out of Toulumne so depending on your out and how long you're there it would be great to say hello! I'm doing 3weeks solo in the park starting then! and May lake is on my list so would love some beta if youre around!
JdBSound
Regular
Regular

Postby Rufus2014 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:52 pm

Thank you fellow backpackers! All input were greatly appreciated. - Happy Trails!
Rufus2014

Postby Rufus2014 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:54 pm

JdBSound wrote:
Rufus2014 wrote:We will be at May Lake on Mon, 9/7 and staying at Tuolumne campground the night before. Would love to say hello if you'll be there. Do we need water filter at May Lake?

i get in on the 8th and my first permit is the 11th out of Toulumne so depending on your out and how long you're there it would be great to say hello! I'm doing 3weeks solo in the park starting then! and May lake is on my list so would love some beta if youre around!

Have a safe trip JDBSound! By the way, have you seen History Channel's new series "ALONE"? Quite interesting.
Rufus2014

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking