Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Young Lakes loop in mid-September...advice?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Young Lakes loop in mid-September...advice?

Postby geokrug » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:56 am

Hello, I've just secured my permit for a 2 night loop to Young Lakes, beginning via Glen Aulin and returning via Dog Lake. I'm a reasonably experienced backpacker, having done many similar trips throughout the Adirondacks and Boundary Waters of MN, but I have never been to Yosemite, nor done backpacking at this altitude.

If you were in my shoes, is there anything you'd want to be told? Any advice on the temperature ranges that time of year? Should I bring crampons? How well marked are the trails? Do I need a map, or can I get away with a web printout and my mobile phone? Any other tips or tricks welcome!

Thanks!
geokrug

Re: Young Lakes loop in mid-September...advice?

Postby balzaccom » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Relax. The trail is VERY well marked (at least once you get a mile from Tuolumne Meadows---that area is a maze!) and you won't get lost. You won't need crampons or ice axe. We hiked through this area in June, and it was beautiful. It's a simple hike over the ridge, down into Delancey Creek, over the side of Ragged Peak, and then up to the lake. Take the time to explore all three lakes---the Upper one is quite different, but the lower one is the most scenic, I think.

Only one bit of advice: check the weather report. September is shoulder season here, and it should be great weather. But there is always the possibility of an early season storm and you don't want to be at 10,000 when it is a full-on blizzard unless you really know what you are doing.

We have a trip report on this one on our website---and here is a like to the trip report on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3396

We took a different route, including more than two days off trail. Your trip will be much more civilized.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby geokrug » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:39 am

That trip report was fantastic, just the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you! I'll be sure to comb that board between now and my trip to see others. It struck me that the temps you mentioned were getting pretty low at night. Is it safe to assume night time lows will be in the 20s around the Young Lakes? Hopefully that will kill off the mozzies... :D
geokrug

Postby MadDiver » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:43 am

As a fellow former Midwestwetrner and current New Englander my first bit of advice is bring a good camera! I did my first trip to Yosemite in June and it was fantastic. It's nothing like hiking in the East: big open expanses, low humidity, thin forests, you'll be ruined for life :D Yosemite does require bear cans so that might be new for you. However for 2 nights you should have no problem getting everything in one. A nice shady hat is highly recommended.
MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby dan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:46 pm

I lost some posts upgrading the phpbb software, but recovered them from my phone. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by AlmostThere • on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:06 pm

It's not as if there any mosquitoes biting now. By the by, mosquitoes don't die – they just don't bite for the rest of the year after they lay their eggs. The female use blood to boost their egg production. They spend the rest of their lives being pollinators .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by AlmostThere • on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:27 pm

balzaccom wrote:" They spend the rest of their lives being pollinators ."

That sounds like fun.....

Since they only live a few weeks, they don't have time for anything other than eating a little nectar, having a thousand kids, and being vectors for disease.

They're technically flies - just a really annoying kind of fly.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking