Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

If you had to Spend One Night in the Park Next Week Where

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

If you had to Spend One Night in the Park Next Week Where

Postby Grzldvt » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:05 am

My boss told me I need to take a week off as my PTO is reaching max and I will start losing hours, so where would you go for an overnighter. I am thinking somewhere in the south part of the park, But if you had your choice where would you go? Car camp or backpack is cool.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: If you had to Spend One Night in the Park Next Week Wher

Postby balzaccom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:07 am

Yosemite Valley is lovely in December, and with far fewer people, obviously. If it snows, you can still usually get in and out through Mariposa pretty easily. With good weather you drive in through Big Oak Flat and maybe snowshoe out of Crane Flat...we had a nice hike there in the winter.

HEtch-hetchy is still recovering a bit from the fire, but the hike to Rancheria Falls is still your best bet in winter---about 6 miles each way along the reservoir. Falls are lovely.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: If you had to Spend One Night in the Park Next Week Wher

Postby Phil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:03 am

I would agree that the Valley is the place to go if you only have one night. You don't have any problems with access, the sights are plentiful enough to easily fill a day's worth of sightseeing, you have all the services you need, crowds should be fairly light, and a campsite should be fairly easy to find this time of year. If you can't find an available walk-up site at one of the Pines campgrounds, try Camp 4. It'll be a good base of operations, then, weather and conditions permitting, if you want to head a little further out on a day hike, you have the option, but not the full commitment of hauling your pack out.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking