Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

June Trip

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

June Trip

Postby regjjk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:47 am

Coming to park in june for the first time.Going out the P.C.T. coming back Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.Out nine or ten days.Any beta I need to konw?(bears,river crossings,sights to see ect)I was told snow might be deep.Do I need to bring crampons?How deep will might river crossings be?Any advise would be appriciated.We are not beginner hikers(have hiked the Tetons,Yellowstone,Glacier,ect) but have not visited this park before.Have Nat Geo map.Is this one good or is there another one thats better?
regjjk

Re: June Trip

Postby Phil » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Nat Geos are fine, but I prefer the Tom Harrisons.

PCT from where? Entry to the GCT where? Exit where? I wouldn't bother with my crampons. Micro-spikes at most if you're going higher up. In the GCT, you'll possibly have some fords in the lower elevations right before Pate Valley, a fair amount of muck, and maybe a couple more mostly minor, but swollen creek crossings up by Tuolumne and then maybe again right before Glen Aulin on the Tuolumne River itself. You also might have a crossing issue right after Muir Gorge at Register Creek since you have no real choice except to in one place or another. Most of the stuff you can avoid by going around, over a log or timing crossings for earlier in the morning. Lot's of bridges. Of course, all bets are off if we get some outrageous and rapid snow melt this year and/or, any bridges get washed out.

There's no possible way you're going to miss the sights. You'll pass right by an entire series of incredible falls that will be really charged up in June, and you'll be blown away by the gorge itself from beginning to end.

LOTS of bears in Pate Valley, and rattlesnakes if it's warm enough. Just keep your food storage tight and watch where you step.

Great early season trip!
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby regjjk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:16 pm

going in P.C.T. in tuolumne meadows entry point 22b by soda springs. P.C.T. to Rodgers Canyon to G.C.T. Back to glen aulin then back to the meadow.Thanks for the info. how are the crowds going to be on the back side of hike? I understand traffic might be heavy in the meadow to glen aulin but once we get out a couple days?
regjjk

Postby Phil » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:37 am

Yeah, you'll have the heaviest crowds Tuolumne-Glen Aulin just about any time of the year. It's really no big deal though...just say "hi" more.

For that time of year, you're going awfully high up (10k+). You might get shut out because of snowpack or weather, and who knows what's still in store? I'm not sure about that specific area, but I'm hearing some parts of the Sierras are running well above normal, like 130%-ish. I would be seriously thinking about snowshoes over crampons.

You could also consider starting at White Wolf and doing the GCT first, do some first-hand recon on the high country beyond to the north from the top of Morrison Creek, then loop back from Glen Aulin on the PCT, then through Rogers Canyon/Pate Valley and back to White Wolf if you feel okay about what you see.

There's really no definite way to make any sort of solid call on weather and trail conditions that high up at this point. I will say this with absolute certainty though- you will get wet, and you'll have very heavy packs if you're into being prepared for contingencies.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking