Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Couple Short Questions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Couple Short Questions

Postby DaleDoge » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:07 am

Hey guys,

I will be in Yosemite in July, doing a 6 day backpacking trip that includes Half Dome. Our permits start at Tuolumne Meadows and we will also be ending there, creating a loop on our trip. Two questions;

1) In planning the trip, I see that there are marked campsites on my topo in the back country. For example; Mercer Lake, Volesgang and Sunrise sites. How exactly do these sites work? Do you reserve them? First come, first serve? Is there any advantage to these sites as opposed to finding a place of your own to set up at?

2) What is the consensus for what to do with your pack at night time? Do you string your pack up in a tree? Leave it in your vestibule? Of course, food and toiletries will be in a bear vault and strung up - but I would have to believe my pack carries a scent on it's own.

Thanks
DaleDoge

Re: Couple Short Questions

Postby Phil » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:58 am

Hey Dale,

Those are going to be the High Sierra Camps, ie: tent cabins for those with reservations, but otherwise, backpacker's camps or selective sites nearby them for everyone else. You can't use the facilities (dining hall, showers), but you can share campsites with others if need be. It's not exactly first come, first served...but the better sites will go first, and in a few cases, you actually will just have to find room and make it work for everyone if it's crowded. Also with those HSCs, you're generally restricted on where you camp to pre-established sites within a radius anywhere from 1/4- 1 mile away. Close to some of the HSCs, you might have a fire ring at your site, but the areas have almost certainly been picked over for firewood pretty thoroughly, assuming you're below 9600 feet, and thereby allowed a fire at all. They're not the favorite spots for most backpackers, but if you need them, they're there. I try to plan around them, maybe passing through, or using their spigots for water when I need a chlorine fix, but I'm always going to try to find my own spot somewhere else. For the true wilderness experience, I would suggest you do the same. If you tell us about where you plan on or want to end up each day of your trip, I'm sure we can all give you plenty of suggestions on where to look for sites that are better alternatives.

With your pack, assuming you haven't spilled something scented all over it or there's no garbage and food residue, just open it up fully and leave it on the ground or preferably, in your tent vestibule. Leaving it open allows a bear to nose through it and hopefully not tear it to shreds if they want to check it out, and they know what they're after for the most part. I've had my pack poked at a fair amount, but In close to 40 years, I've only had my pack ripped apart once, and that was way back when we could still hang our food and I left some lunch trash in a side pocket, so the way I figure it retrospectively is, I asked for it. You don't need to hang your BV, just keep it and your food prep gear and cooking area clean and away from your tent. You might get a little anxious about it in some places with exceptionally pushy bears, but if you hear them and yell at them, they generally run off. Just keep your food and toiletries sealed properly and you shouldn't need to worry.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby DaleDoge » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks, Phil – That is some great information to have.

Now that I know they are called the High Sierra’s Campsites I was able to research them, and I think you are right, we will probably be avoiding staying at them. We would much rather have the full wilderness experience and get to choose our own campsite anyway. Pretty interesting concept though, and is probably would be a good transition for someone looking to get away from car-camping.

Sounds like unzipping the pack and leaving in the vestibule will be our strategy, as I’ve read that advice elsewhere as well. I didn’t even consider not stringing up the bear vault. I suppose as long as an animal doesn’t run off with it, I don’t mind if it gets pawed or gnawed on.

Now that we can rule out the HSC’s, we can start to develop a clearer picture of where we will be staying each night. Once we get that down, I’ll probably make an additional post looking for feedback on our choices.

Again, thanks for the info – looking forward to our visit.
DaleDoge

Postby Phil » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Glad to be of help, Dale. We'll get you hooked up with those suggestions whenever you're ready.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with your BV or not, but check out some of the YouTube videos on opening them with the credit card method. I don't use that brand, but I've tried it, and it seems to be better than trying to manipulate the tabs with your fingers. With bears and canisters, the idea behind the 8"+ diameters is that they can't get their jaws around them, so no problems there. It's actually kind of fun to watch them go at it, except that you would rather be sleeping. What you want to keep in mind, besides keeping it away from your tent (100' is recommended), is to make sure they can't roll the canister off a cliff or into water.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking