Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

May Lake->Snow Creek trail-head

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

May Lake->Snow Creek trail-head

Postby MiltonGA » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum, but been following it for a couple years. I'm looking for information on the May Lake->Snow Creek trail-head. My son and I are thinking about getting a permit for July and I've never used that starting off point before. The map I have does not show a lot of detail, so I'm wondering if it is off of Tioga Road and the parking situation. Also if anyone has hiking experience with that trail we could use that. We plan on 5 or 6 days, if my old knees/legs will take it :D

Thanks,
Jim
Milton GA
MiltonGA

Re: May Lake->Snow Creek trail-head

Postby Phil » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm assuming you want the trail down to Snow Creek- actually called the Tenaya Lake and Tuolumne Meadows Trail, and not the trail up to May Lake from the same location? Yes, it's on Tioga Rd, and I know it really well. We usually end up on it or the trail system in that area at some point or another at least once a year for early season warm up hikes or access to the Valley, and just because I happen to love camping at Snow Creek. Are you planning on exiting in the Valley or somewhere else? I'm just wondering how you're going to make 5-6 days out of it so I have a better idea of where you're passing through and what kinds of info you might want besides parking, basic trail conditions, and how it's going to treat your knees.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MiltonGA » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi,
We want to see Vogelsang lake for one thing, and visit some other high altitude lakes and sites. We are NOT hard set on a particular tail-head but Snow Creek looks open for July.
Will need to do this as a loop, start and return to the same trail-head, as we only have one car. We will spend a few days sight seeing in the park, then want to take off for a while in the high country. I like to be above the treeline as much as possible. We are open to suggestions, my last time there was 1987, so it's been awhile.

Thanks,
Jim
Milton, GA
MiltonGA

Postby Phil » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi Jim,

Well that's a different story altogether. Coming in at Snow Creek is sort of a cheat, assuming the permitting system/rangers would let you do it, but it's an awfully long and roundabout way to get to Vogelsang from there, and then back. You get major points for creativity.

I had the chance to look at what appear to be open reservation slots for Lyell Canyon today for another post, and there look to be a few dates still open in July. That's a better route up to Vogelsang, and if it's indeed open, grab it fast.

Here's the link to the trailheads report with the dates. See if it might work.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf

And btw- you don't necessarily have to loop back to the car, YARTS has a great shuttle system that you should be able to make work for you.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MiltonGA » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:20 am

Hi,

Thanks I'll try for that. We appreciate the help!

Jim
MiltonGA

Postby MiltonGA » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi,

I got a permit for July 13, Lyell Canyon. Thanks so much for checking that trail report for us, there was a few open dates that a applied for and luckily the last one was for the 13th, much better logistically than Snow Creek for what we want to do. Should be a great time, just my son and myself. I get to show him how to enjoy the journey along the way to the the destination, I was one of the scout leaders in his scout troop and when the troop went backpacking it was a race from point a to b, barely any time to look at the surroundings along the trail. We are stopping in Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion, various Indian ruins on the way to CA, a lot I studied in geology class field trips.

Thanks again,
Jim
MiltonGA

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking