Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

wilderness permit question

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

wilderness permit question

Postby Justin-T » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:24 am

My son and I are going to backpack the High Sierra loop this July and I'm wondering if I made a mistake with the permit. I asked for and received a permit for an entry at Glen Aulin, exit at Lyell Canyon 6 days later, figuring we'd do the typical counter-clockwise circuit. Given that this route takes us out to May Lake and then comes back out of the wilderness to cross Tioga Rd over to the Sunrise trailhead, should I have gotten two permits, the second one entering the wilderness again at Sunrise?

It seems like our entry/exit trailheads imply we had to be leaving the wilderness, otherwise we wouldn't be ending along Lyell Canyon, so it seems to me they gave tacit approval of me doing this on one permit, but maybe I'm mistaken...
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: wilderness permit question

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:35 am

I wouldn't even worry about it. Go. You're passing-through Sunrise. It might not be specifically stated, but no matter how or where you slice it, there's no possible way to enter at Glen Aulin and exit Lyell Canyon without crossing Tioga Rd. somewhere along the line.

If you're stopped and permitted, let the ranger figure it out, but you're going to be within your approved route. It was officially issued, and you should be confident in that. They really just don't want people bouncing in and out of the wilderness in an endless trailhead free-for-all.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:49 am

If you turn and travel along a road, you must have another permit. If you simply cross the road and continue along a trail, you are fine. No shuttles, hitchhiking or road walking, for that puts you out of the wilderness. If the trails you are intending to travel are separated enough that you cannot walk ACROSS the road, two permits.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks guys, it looks to me that the trail crosses Tioga Rd (at a marked cross-walk) and then continues in the trees not far from the road before joining up with the main trail to Sunrise, at the SW end of Tenaya Lake. So, no hiking on the road. Looks like we're all set 8)
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking