Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Re: wilderness permit question (continued)- leaving trail

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby CarolE » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:39 am

AlmostThere wrote:If you turn and travel along a road, you must have another permit. If you simply cross the road and continue along a trail, you are fine. No shuttles, hitchhiking or road walking, for that puts you out of the wilderness. If the trails you are intending to travel are separated enough that you cannot walk ACROSS the road, two permits.

In July we're doing a loop from Cathedral-HD-Clouds Rest and out SR/Tenaya TH and had thought about doing a day hike down and up the Mist for an extra day. Question- as the tent, etc will still be at SRx is it legal to just dayhike right to the bottom of HI, exit and go to Curry Village/Yosemite for lunch or supper/restock and then day hike back up to our Tents? I'm pretty sure nobody is going to stop and check us but is it not "officially" proper? We might also just go part way down the JMT and then back up where the Mist meets it but seemed like a fun idea maybe and might allow us to miss some crowds if we went back up late in the day? (how late does the crowd up the Mist end?)

CB
CarolE
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:29 pm

CarolE wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:If you turn and travel along a road, you must have another permit. If you simply cross the road and continue along a trail, you are fine. No shuttles, hitchhiking or road walking, for that puts you out of the wilderness. If the trails you are intending to travel are separated enough that you cannot walk ACROSS the road, two permits.

In July we're doing a loop from Cathedral-HD-Clouds Rest and out SR/Tenaya TH and had thought about doing a day hike down and up the Mist for an extra day. Question- as the tent, etc will still be at SRx is it legal to just dayhike right to the bottom of HI, exit and go to Curry Village/Yosemite for lunch or supper/restock and then day hike back up to our Tents? I'm pretty sure nobody is going to stop and check us but is it not "officially" proper? We might also just go part way down the JMT and then back up where the Mist meets it but seemed like a fun idea maybe and might allow us to miss some crowds if we went back up late in the day? (how late does the crowd up the Mist end?)

CB

I'm pretty sure that leaving the wilderness that way nullifies your permit.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:51 am

its not clear to me exactly where you're saying your tent would be or where you are thinking of starting that day hike from, but it sounds like it would be impractical in a day. Starting from where the JMT connects to the HD trail, going to Curry Village and back to that same point must be about 15 miles round trip and 3000' down, 3000' back up. Including stops to check out the falls and for lunch at Curry Village that's going to be a long day even if you only have day packs. Crowds on the Mist Trail are bad enough that they will slow you down also.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby CarolE » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 am

More like 13 miles but yes, a big day but pretty easy for 1/2 of it. My hiking partner is practicing for a hike that would have similar days which is why I thought it might be good for him. No point in going all the way out if we're not supposed to though so we'll plan to loop it back up.

So, the questions still is- is there a time of day when the crowds going UP the mist dwindle?? Sunset is ~823pm
CarolE
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:17 pm

So where are you going to be camped? Whether you'll be nullifying your permit or not with a day hike (and I do believe that AT is right about that) the crowds headed up aren't going to begin to let up until probably 4pm-ish, and you'll then be vying for position with the crowds descending. Why not just spend the extra day at the backpacker's camp in the Valley and day-hike the Mist from there? If you're leaving on a 13 mile hike, climbing the whole way, that late in the day, you better make sure you have headlamps, and there may be a better chance of being stopped as you pass by LYV than you think. Also, the rangers see your lights on the JMT and they're going to think your trying to pull a fast one. For whatever it means, if I saw you, I would stop whatever I was doing, walk the 50 yards, and see what you were up to if it was me. They're particularly adept at responding to people doing weird things in that area and getting on it pretty quickly.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking