Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite trip in April

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite trip in April

Postby racgeral » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi, my name is Rogerio. I'm from Brazil (sorry for my English) and I'm going to Yosemite (valley) with my family in April. We will have 4 days to hike and enjoy this beautiful place.

We aren't good hikers. We are going not to feel tired but to enjoy the nature.
The schedule is:

First day:
Bridevail Fall
Mirror Lake trail
Tunnel view
Picnic

Second day:
To ride a bike
Yosemite Valley Loop trail (half)

Third day:
To visit another area (outside the Valley). Maybe Tuolomne Grove or maybe to drive in the 120hwy

Fourth day:
Sentinel Meadow & Cook's Meadow Loop trail
Lower yosemite fall loop trail

Unfortunately, in April some areas will be closed.

Then
1) Is it enough? Do you recomend something more (an easy trail or something else)?
2) is possible to visit a place with ice in the Valley in April?
3) is it necessary a specific tennis or boot to hike the trails I've mentioned?

Thanks very much
racgeral

Re: Yosemite trip in April

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi Rogerio,

120 over the pass will likely be closed if the snow continues to fall. Tuolumne Grove will not be accessible. You may find the ice in the valley to be gone. You shouldn't need special gear to do any of the things you mention, but if you do there is a shop in Yosemite Village to purchase whatever you need.

I recommend visiting Wawona, hiking around the meadow there. The hotel serves good meals and there are some historic points of interest there, including the covered bridge. If you walk straight across the highway and out the dirt road to the tree line, then turn around, you will have a great view of Chilnualna Falls.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 pm

The Sentinel Meadow/Cooks Meadow loop may be something you can work in as part of your Valley loop on day 2. Instead, by the 4th day, you guys might be up for a hike from Happy Isles up to Vernal and maybe Nevada Falls via the Mist Trail. That's pretty much a must-see hike with four days in the Valley. More effort, but worth it. I would bring some hiking boots, and definitely raincoats or ponchos for at least Bridalveil Falls. If it's warm, you might also want to bring some mosquito repellent for the hike to the back end of Mirror Lake. Just so you know, the Mirror Lake loop has been closed for years because of a rockfall blocking the trail below Half Dome, so it's an out-and-back. The Valley shuttle system is a very efficient and user-friendly way to get around to everything you want to see.

Since Highway 120 will definitely still be closed for the winter, cutting off access to Tuolumne Grove, and Miraposa Grove south of Wawona is still being renovated until next year, even though it's only about 10 or so trees, you might want to visit Merced Grove if you want to see at least a small stand of Sequioas. It's about a 1.5 mile hike down from the parking lot and about 4 driving miles from Crane Flat.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby racgeral » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks, AlmostThere, I will decide about Wawona.

Thanks, Phil. I don't want to go to Vernal Falls cause is very dificulty to up the stairs and we don't have appropriate boots. I guess may be dangerous to down the stairs, too.
I didn't know about this rock in Mirror Lake.
Merced Grove is an option but some people say it is not easy.

I guess the best options are Wawona or Merced Grove. I will ask to my family choose it.

Sorry for my English
racgeral

Postby cwb348 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 am

We are planning a trip next April, and I was wondering how your April trip went. Any suggestions? Which hikes did you end up doing, and would you recommend them? Thanks!
cwb348
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:32 am

ameliaclaire wrote:Depends on your interests. Rock formations and trees are visible anytime. Some roads may be closed due to snow pack.
The waterfalls are fed by Sierra snowmelt. Last year they were spectacular in early June. I suspect that April would be too early to see them anywhere near peak flow. There are so many people who go to Yosemite 4–6 times per year and can tell you that the weather in Yosemite in April is highly unpredictable. April is my favorite time to go see the waterfalls.

Two years too late for the OP....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite