Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trying to find trail information

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trying to find trail information

Postby Sir Liikestohiike » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:54 am

Hello,
I'm from out of state and was looking to hike some of Yosemite at the end of this June, and was looking for a trail or two that is scenic and roughly a 20-25 mile loop. I'm currently really interested in the "Breeze Lake Loop" but can only find one source of information on it, and it doesn't even give a good indication of where the trail head is. (http://www.backpacker.com/trips/califor ... #scroll-to).
I'm wondering if there is any more information on it, or another hike that is similar, but with more information on it. I'd really like to gather as much information as possible before fully committing to the trip. I'm a semi-experienced backpacker and will be traveling with a small group of "in-shape" college aged guys, if that makes any difference. Any information is helpful, and thank you for your insight!
Sir Liikestohiike
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Trying to find trail information

Postby balzaccom » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm

The reason you are confused is that the whole trip starts outside the park. You'll need a permit not from Yosemite but from the Sierra National Forest--they have offices in Oakhurst and Bass Lake, as I recall. The trip starts off Beasore Road, and the hikes into the Yosemite over the southern boundary of the park at Chiquito Pass.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Trying to find trail information

Postby Phil » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Yep, your trailhead is in Sierra National Forest. Breeze Lake is up by Fernandez Pass along the border with/in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. I use UTM coordinates, but if you want to convert or search it with some mapping software, those are roughly: Zone 11 284000mE 4157000mN (NAD83)

You can also access that area via the Mono Meadow trailhead along Glacier Point Rd within YNP. Up Illilouette Creek, over Merced Pass - Moraine Meadows. Breeze Lake is up a trail spur, and if you want a bigger true "loop", although it's over 50 miles at largely high elevations, you can head over to Fernandez Pass - Post Peak - Isberg Pass - Red Peak Pass and back out the way you came in as one alternative. If that's too far, do it as an in-and-out from Mono Meadows. One other way would be to come in behind Wawona and up Chilnualna Falls.

Either way, as a moderately experienced backpacker, you'll have quite an introduction to Yosemite.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking