Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sleeping bags renewed!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sleeping bags renewed!

Postby balzaccom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:23 am

We've owned our REI Sub-Kilo sleeping bags for about six years now, and that means that we've used them on about 750 miles of backpacking trips. Since we usually hike about 7-8 miles a day, that's about 100 nights in the bag, not counting some of our car camping trips. Ewww.

So as you can imagine, the bags had started to look a little grimy in places. We've meant to wash them for a couple of years, but it's such a major process that we never got around to it. Until now.

A visit to REI got us the NikWax soap for down bags, and Ifilled up the tub and away I went, first washing the bag, then soaking it for a while, washing again, and then seemingly endless cycles of rinse and rinse and rinse and repeat. Then the delicate process of slowing squeezing most of the water out of the bag, and about 3 hours in the dryer on the delicate cycle. But it worked.

What was a grimy old sleeping bag now looks more or less fresh and new. And we were surprised to see how well they filled out their big "pillow case" storage bags once we had washed them. Before washing, they were not nearly so fluffy--although it's possible we could have fluffed them up a bit in the dryer even without washing them. At any rate, they are now clean! I can hardly wait to get mine packed away in its stuff sack and on the trail again.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Sleeping bags renewed!

Postby mebgardner » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:22 am

So, that stuff works. Thanks for the tip.

I've seen people praise, and I've seen'em curse, washing their bag or jacket, or pillow etc. I'm glad it went well for ya.

Just follow the directions, right? No "oh, they did not mention that step, but it's clearly needed" , kinda thing?
mebgardner
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:58 am

As long as you get the right product for the application, NikWax and McNett products tend to do a great job. If I'm using a product that's designed to renew a waterproof finish like DWR, I've found that a medium heat setting in the dryer does a better job impregnating the material. Whether it's sleeping bags, jackets, pants...dirt and grime buildup decrease their performance as much as washing them too often.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:14 pm

But wait a minute....

I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am that Balzaccom finally washed his bags, but, I just need to take a moment to share the thrill that is the glory of my new 16" Bearikade...with an extra layer no less. I want to put not-so-small pets and children in it.... Sure it cost's way too much, but the way I see it, it's an investment; now I can carry the food- we turn the weight of 2 Garcia's into one with even more volume and better access, we stay out longer and eat better, and if it's not full, I can store my whole awkward and bulky cooking kit and then some in it, and the biggie, my partner gets to carry EVERYTHING else...including never enough of my stuff. I'm kind of old, it hurts sometimes, and I'm almost to the point of seriously considering hauling a camp chair wherever I go....I'll take it any way I can get it.

I'm almost hesitant to plaster stickers all over it. That's how excited I am. Melt snow, melt! I wanna test it.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:52 am

I inherited a sleeping bag from my passed away neighbor. He was 70' s kind of guy and at first I balked at taking it but the stuff sack was so tiny I figured it was a useless bag. His wife pushed it, so OK. Pulled it out of the stuff sack and was blown away by what I had. Absolutely filthy, and discovered it was a down bag. Got some Nikwax and washed it twice. Nikwax is amazing. It brought the bag back to life. I discovered this is a bag from the 70's developed by a company based in Berkley, CA and the technology was way ahead of its time. It is a down bag, no zippers at all, but compresses to half of other down bags and the way the baffles are sewn is very unique. I have used it in less than 20 degrees and was very cozy. Major kudos to Nikwax for pulling this one out and making it new again
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking