Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Winging it on First come First serve!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Winging it on First come First serve!

Postby mya6007 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am

Is it possible to plan your whole Yosemite trip on FCFS?!

Can you get half dome/ wilderness permit on a FCFS. I entered the lottery for half dome permits but would prefer to get my wilderness permit via happy isles. So I was wondering if you have a daily permit can you still wait in line for a wilderness permit?

Also what are the alternate routes for half dome?
mya6007
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Winging it on First come First serve!

Postby balzaccom » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 am

You can always stand in line for a FCFS permit. On any given day there are a few people (sometimes a lot of people) who don't pick up their reserved permits. And there are also always some permits for each trail dedicated to same day FCFS people. Friday afternoon of the 4th of July weekend wouldn't be the best time to try to score one of these, but middle of the week is usually easier. We've done it quite a few times.

Are you asking about other trailheads that could include a Half Dome ascent? Sunrise or Cathedral Lakes would allow you to do that from opposite direction from Happy Isles. Glacier Point and Illilouette Canyon would be longer options from the same general direction as Happy Isles. Longer versions of your hike might include Rafferty Creek or Snow Creek, or May Lake...

The rangers in the Wilderness Office are usually pretty good about trying to help you find a way to get to where you are going, if you are willing to take an alternate route, and maybe hike a little farther.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking